GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this might be in the right forum but, when I turn my steering wheel it makes a sound like its rubbing something. Not all the time though. The sound kinda sounds like if you clean your bath tub really good and your hands are really clean and dry, and you rub your finger across it and it make that squeak sound! It sound like its comming from right at the steering wheel like along the shaft in the interior!

·
Banned
4,048 Posts
it might be the steering wheel shaft, i just got mine replaced on my 02 tahoe
Dead on! GM used to just send out lube for the shafts, but now they have to be replaced.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dead on! GM used to just send out lube for the shafts, but now they have to be replaced.

Really I called GM about a month ago and they said they still sell the kit for $20 here! But I called not for the squeal. I called cause I fealt a light knock in my wheel when turning!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has always done it ever since I bought the vehicle 25000 miles ago! I have no power steering leaks its completly dry and the fluid is full. It doesnt happen all the time. It mostly happens when I am in a parking spot and I back up, and as soon as I start tuning the wheel from a dead stop I hear the sound. Its not comming from the engine, it comes from the interior right along the shaft area!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My buddy was with me when it happened once and he asked me if my car was farting!

·
DisgruntleD
3,822 Posts
It has always done it ever since I bought the vehicle 25000 miles ago! I have no power steering leaks its completly dry and the fluid is full. It doesnt happen all the time. It mostly happens when I am in a parking spot and I back up, and as soon as I start tuning the wheel from a dead stop I hear the sound. Its not comming from the engine, it comes from the interior right along the shaft area!
Mine does the same thing, only a parking lot speeds, and sometimes it feels like the power steering is cutting out a little, but the fluid is fine, no leaks, I can't figure it out either.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If thats the sound that GM was telling me about, than its comming from the shaft when it passes through the fire wall. They said its filled with grease and after a while it starts to dry up or something and you have to buy there kit and re grease it. they said there is nothing to worry about that the steering wheel wont fall off or nothing but the sound will just get louder and more anoying over time! Mine only does it at parking lot speeds also.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mine does it all the time now. I have to take it in again next week. I already had it taking cars of once. I only have 23,000 miles. From what I've heard they all will do it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i took mine the first two times and the dealer just relubed it, but this third time they did replace the steering shaft, everything was done under warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts