GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
STOCK TRUCK
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 Silverado was stolen/wrecked, blah. *$(%#$% I've replaced just about all front end parts, tried rotating the tires, had it aligned like 4 times(taken it back), took it to a body shop (guy said frame wasnt bent upon visual inspection). I havent replaced the lower control arms yet, but am going to replace pass side this weekend and eventually the drivers side, because they are the original ball joints and bushings. I'd rather just pay for the new bushings and ball joints already pressed in than try to grind the rivets and beat the old one out.

If I'm driving forward in a parking and let go of the steering wheel it pulls left (counter-clockwise). If I'm going in reverse, the truck pulls right (clockwise). Braking intensifies the problem.

Eventually I'll replace the front and rear brake rotors and pads, as they look ok to me. But they could be grabbing. I'll replace the rubber brake lines with steel lines and probably the calipers. Although, with the calipers, I was able to put a C-clamp on both sides, compress them, and then I was able to move them really easily on the slide pins. I havent tried to sliding them back and forth since I've driven again. Fluid levels look fine. I had the front end on jack stands, spun the tire, and had a helper hit the brakes. The tires both stopped instantly and I was able to spin them again real easy. It doesnt seem like a caliper is seized or anything.

WTF?!? I'm at a loss. Any help is appreciated.

·
STOCK TRUCK
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This may be a tough one to respond to, so I'll update. I replaced the pass side LCA and air'd down to 43PSI all around. I was originally running at 60, and I think that was a tad too high, making the truck bounce all over the place. I still pulls left a little, but is much better. Drivers side LCA is getting replaced on Fri.

·
Doin it for the lolz
318 Posts
Not sure if you solved this but measure your wheelbase left and riht side. Was the alignment shop using a laser alignment machine? Typically those machines will detect bent parts due to wheelbase differences, toe, bent axle, etc. I would ask for a full printout of the specs from the alignment shop.

At our shop when we get a car hit hard with suspension damage we put it on the alignment rack first and get the specs. Then change parts, pull frame, etc. to repair and then align it. Newer alignment machines can provide a wealth of information.

-Ryan

·
STOCK TRUCK
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still havent solved this one yet. Funny, I measured the wheelbase the other day and both sides measured exactly 143.0". You're suppose to measure from center of hub to center of hub, right? I remember that measurement a long time ago, and just looked again. One website says 143.5", but thats converted from mm. Not sure why the fuck they stated it in mm.:think:

I've replaced both LCA's. Didnt help anything. Next upgrade will be SAS.

It was aligned at the stealership. He was able to align it to spec. Although, the fucked up thing was that I was there asking him advice while he was doing it, and I saw the machine only had specs for 1500HD, 2500, 2500HD, and 3500. He asked if it was a 2500, and looked confused as to why it didnt have a 1500. Does every alignment rack have only these specs? Do you mind looking for me? Its a 2003 1500 Z71.

Here's a list of things to make me think the frame is bent slightly:

Measurement from tranny x-member to LCA's was 3/8" shorter on passenger side than drivers side.
I can get my torque wrench on the rear cam bolt for the UCA on the driver side, but not passenger side
My drivers side tire sticks out farther than the passenger side (but that may just be the lift doing that)
Body mount right behind pass side fender is offset, when no others are, I was able to almost put it back in the center when I did the bodylift.

I should mention that that pass side rotor has a small groove on the backside, thus giving the inner pad a groove on it. Would that cause a pull to the left, and make the steering wheel do funny things as I said in the subject?

Again, thanks for all the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts