GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did everyone do their notch? I'm hoping to have the back bagged by sunday night, and the only thing I'm really stuck on is the notch. I have all the metal(3/16") to make it. Should I have the driveshaft in when I'm making it? Also should I have my lower bars mounted? Whats the correct way to figure out how big of a notch I'll need? Right now I have 265/70/17's. when I get new rims I'll be using a 285/35/22. Did you guys have to move your brake line? It looks like my brake line will be in the way of the notch.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
How did everyone do their notch? I'm hoping to have the back bagged by sunday night, and the only thing I'm really stuck on is the notch. I have all the metal(3/16") to make it. Should I have the driveshaft in when I'm making it? Also should I have my lower bars mounted? Whats the correct way to figure out how big of a notch I'll need? Right now I have 265/70/17's. when I get new rims I'll be using a 285/35/22. Did you guys have to move your brake line? It looks like my brake line will be in the way of the notch.
You could try jacking the axle up until it hits the frame and then measure how much further you need until the frame/ body will touch the ground. The tire you want to run will be smaller than your current setup so you should be able to figure it out fairly easy.

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of what I was thinking of doing. I just wanted to see how everyone else done theirs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What type of rear setup are you running? 2 link, 4 link? The driveshaft doesn't neccesarily need to be hooked up but you will need to adjust your pinon angle eventually. Do you plan on laying frame? If so with a 22' wheel your step will need to be fairly large. It's been a while since I've played with bags but I would say 8-10" at least. If you have the wheels already it would help as you can do as stated above and jack the axle up and you will be able to tell how high you need to go.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What type of rear setup are you running? 2 link, 4 link? The driveshaft doesn't neccesarily need to be hooked up but you will need to adjust your pinon angle eventually. Do you plan on laying frame? If so with a 22' wheel your step will need to be fairly large. It's been a while since I've played with bags but I would say 8-10" at least. If you have the wheels already it would help as you can do as stated above and jack the axle up and you will be able to tell how high you need to go.

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear setup will be a Wishbone setup with SS RE-8's on the lower bars. Yeah, I'll be laying frame. Here's how I was thinking of doing it, lowering the jackstands that the truck is sitting on to the lowest position, putting the wheels/tires on the axle, setting it on the ground, then figure out how high the axle sets and then figure out how high the rear section of the frame will sit when it's layed out and then that should tell me how big the notch needs to be.

·
TROLL REVOLT of 2012
2,474 Posts
links and frame have to be parallel to the ground

·
Registered
120 Posts
The rear setup will be a Wishbone setup with SS RE-8's on the lower bars. Yeah, I'll be laying frame. Here's how I was thinking of doing it, lowering the jackstands that the truck is sitting on to the lowest position, putting the wheels/tires on the axle, setting it on the ground, then figure out how high the axle sets and then figure out how high the rear section of the frame will sit when it's layed out and then that should tell me how big the notch needs to be.
That is the correct way to work out the size of the notch, i figured mine out this way!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
you might want to give you a little bit of extra space if you decide to change tire size. Better to have too much than not enough down the road.

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you might want to give you a little bit of extra space if you decide to change tire size. Better to have too much than not enough down the road.
Well My current tire size is a little bit bigger then a 285/40/22. I think that'd be the biggest size tire I'd run. My current tire is 31.6in tall, the 285/40/22 is 31.0in tall, and the tire I'd like to run is 285/35/22 and it's 29.9in

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well My current tire size is a little bit bigger then a 285/40/22. I think that'd be the biggest size tire I'd run. My current tire is 31.6in tall, the 285/40/22 is 31.0in tall, and the tire I'd like to run is 285/35/22 and it's 29.9in
Then you should be good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts