GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of step notches welded on to my 91 Chevy 1500 and for some reason the drivers side welds have cracked on me twice in the same spot right by the gas tank. Has anyone else had this problem with weld on notches?? It's bothering me because it keeps costing me $$ to fix and doesn't last long once it's done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to get it ready for bags but can't move forward till I get this fixed. It's kinda scary driving it, I just make sure I drive slow now especially over bumps. The first time it snapped I hit a big bump, the front welds gave in and my truck looked like it snapped in half. lol. I can't figure it out.

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
That is horrible man......

Who ever welded that needs the welder taken away and should never be allowed to go near one ever again.

Its obvious the welds didnt penetrate, either because the welder being used was to small being worked past its duty cycle and or the area that was being welded wasent preped right and contaminated or both.

Reguardless, even with a small welder, it could have been done right with multiple passes and taking some time. A notch properly done, will be stronger than the factory frame in that area.

·
Tuckin' Tire Static
3,915 Posts
Thats alittle harsh but im not gonna disagree completely. Change front and fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
im local to you, whos doing your work? you gotta be careful in fresno theres alot of guys that claim they know what they are doing but dont have a clue, if you can trailer it, come to visalia and have sisco customs fix everything, Brandon is the guy who runs it and he does legit work. Dont take it back to the same guy, is it a 8 piece or a 1 piece like avs sells?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im local to you, whos doing your work? you gotta be careful in fresno theres alot of guys that claim they know what they are doing but dont have a clue, if you can trailer it, come to visalia and have sisco customs fix everything, Brandon is the guy who runs it and he does legit work. Dont take it back to the same guy, is it a 8 piece or a 1 piece like avs sells?
Thanks for the advice. it's an 8 pc. I'm thinking of taking it to the Choppin Block to fix everything but I'm not sure yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.