GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is needed to smooth and paint the thin tailgate cap? I bought some GM spray paint of my color. I know ill need to sand (start with what grit go to what) and then primer (sand after primer I believe, with what?). Paint (sand between coats), and clear coat (what kind).

Lots of questions, thanks for any answers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
if you still have the tailgate, that would probably be the better way to go since it will resist flexing more than the tailgate skin itself.... unless you are putting the 'cap' over the tailgate...
aae.gif

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IM LOWR said:
if you still have the tailgate, that would probably be the better way to go since it will resist flexing more than the tailgate skin itself.... unless you are putting the 'cap' over the tailgate...
aae.gif
Yea it is just the cap, kinda confused where you saying I should do all the work on the tailgate cap on the truck so it doesnt flex so much? I have it off right now, im going ot be replace the thick one that came with the truck with this one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welding the stock tailgate shut would resist flexing more than just a thin plate of metal in place of the tailgate. Lack of support/strength, even with the stock tailgate in place, will cause the welding to crack on the edges.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
I think he's just talking about a tailgate cap protector, not welding his tailgate in and using a skin.

As for the cap, I've never used it but alot of people swear by the bulldog adhesion promotor, makes paint stick to plastic easier. I think I've seen it at Wal-Mart, probably have it at AutoZone, etc ..... prep is the key, and using products that are compatible (don't use a primer from one brand and a paint from another, one may cause the other to bubble up). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bcubed said:
I think he's just talking about a tailgate cap protector, not welding his tailgate in and using a skin.

As for the cap, I've never used it but alot of people swear by the bulldog adhesion promotor, makes paint stick to plastic easier. I think I've seen it at Wal-Mart, probably have it at AutoZone, etc ..... prep is the key, and using products that are compatible (don't use a primer from one brand and a paint from another, one may cause the other to bubble up). Hope this helps.
Yup that was what I was talking about. So then the question goes if I get bulldog promotor will it be compatable with the GM paint (its actually from GM). And then for prep what are the actual steps to smooth down the bumps (grits needed) and sanding between coats of what and at what grit. Thanks..

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
i sanded a GMC tailgate cap for my 02. i started with 220 and worked up to about 500 grit. after wetsanding over primer a few times, i used a sealer, then the adhesion promoter, and then dupont paint/clear(in a booth). i used the bed of my truck to haul shit all the time, and it only chipped when i was being careless. even after the abuse, it still looked good. i had probably 2 chips, and they were barely noticable.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Get the SS cap... it comes smooth.. so there's not really any sanding involved and it looks better.

Just get it painted and replace it with the old one.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
99redsilv said:
Do what Josh said except spray the adhesion promoter on the plastic itself before you primer it.
yeah, after thinking about it i was backwards :crazy:

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a smooth cap for sale if you want it. I never used it cuz I have a Gaylord cover. I will sell it to you for real cheap. All you gotta do is paint it and install.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doughboy said:
I have a smooth cap for sale if you want it. I never used it cuz I have a Gaylord cover. I will sell it to you for real cheap. All you gotta do is paint it and install.
The one I bought I already now have sanded down, just need to put the adhesion promotor, primer, paint, clear on... :head:
Thanks tho

1 - 14 of 14 Posts