GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eventually Im going to buy a millermatic 251 or something in that arena, but I dont even have close to that cash right now - its probably 6 montsh toa year away. Even then I would want to have a stick welder around just because of its versatility. Im looking at maybe getting it this weekend, so whats a good heavy duty stick welder. I was looking at the Miller THUNDERBOLT XL 300 - anyone else have any sugestions? Im sick of borrowing this old ass one that you have to kick to make work!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
We've got a Lincoln 225 amp AC 125 amp DC stick welder here, it rocks. We seem to weld alot of stuff back together here and it does just fine. Just finished boxing in the frame on a dump bed of a dump truck with 3/8" steel, came out real nice. 80 feet of welds probably...

·
Registered
2 Posts
easiest way to decide is to pick the size you want, then pick your color (red or blue)

o also get an acdc stick, so you have less of a chance shock the shit out of your self on those hot sweaty welding days

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
What they said.

I just picked up a Lincoln Precision Tig 185 and it's a beautiful machine. Stick welds like a mofo. Good luck man! :D

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Hookedupcustoms said:
:badidea: Stick welding SUCKS!!! I wouldnt bother buyin one
Depends on what you use it for, I'm sure Stephen isn't goign to be welding in roll pans and shaving tailgates .. a wire feed woudl be ebst in that case. I imagine he's gonan be fabricating brackets, building crossmembers and boxing in frames .. sounds good for that, what else is good for that, Heliarc or Tig?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
bcubed said:
Depends on what you use it for, I'm sure Stephen isn't goign to be welding in roll pans and shaving tailgates .. a wire feed woudl be ebst in that case. I imagine he's gonan be fabricating brackets, building crossmembers and boxing in frames .. sounds good for that, what else is good for that, Heliarc or Tig?
MIG wold be the most economical for that, TIG would be better for the roll pans and such actually... Stick just all around sucks for anything but heavy plate like 1"+ thick. It's slow, dirty, and a general pita.

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
I don't know man, I would trust my life with stick than most things. As far as dirty, yes, slow, not really. Compared to gas it's very fast.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
For youre 1st welder i would say stick. I'm not famailer with the machine you mentioned, but Miller isnt known for crappy welders. Grab a case of Weld Kleen AnitSplatter at the welding supply shop and the cleanliness issue becomes a mute point. Unless you make a long ass 220 ext. cord, a mig wont be able to do what stick welders are purchased for. If you get a stick, get atleast 50 foot of leads. You wont regert it. Leave the welder at the wall and weld anywhere in a 50 foot radius. You dont have to worry about porosity, or fucking tips up, or running out of gas on the weekend when the shops are closed. After you learn to stick weld profiecntly, you'll think you were born with a mig gun in your hand. A person that can stick weld good, can run a mig gun like no other.

I just spoke with my dad. He's been welding for yeaars. Hobarts are good, Lincoln's are good. Airco's are good. Millers are better :imo Ive used all brands, and its my observartion that every Miller I've ever used was more user friendly then its counterparts of the same size. My dad saids the Thunderbolt XL 300 will work just fine untill you can afford the millermatic. He said its a good machine for weding up to 1" plate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts