GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced that when you start up your truck and it has been sitting a while, the gas pedal will just stick. It takes a LOT of force to push it down. Anybody know how to fix that what might be freezing it?
Thanks

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
My dads truck used to do this (2000 silverado). I think on the other site (fsc) they had something on there about how to fix it...it may have even been a recall. My dad ended up goin to the dealership and they fixed it...don't remember how much it costed him tho...

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Germanator said:
Has anyone experienced that when you start up your truck and it has been sitting a while, the gas pedal will just stick. It takes a LOT of force to push it down. Anybody know how to fix that what might be freezing it?
Thanks
Mines done it at least half a dozen times over the time I've had my truck (2000)

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
My dads got to the point where it would do it 2 out of every 3 times...kinda dangerous IMO...

·
Registered
397 Posts
On the throttle body where the accelerator spring/cable is may be 'gunked' up for lack of a better word. Get some carb cleaner,....i used berrymans and spray a little or a lot depending on how dirty it is to degrease it and clean it real good where it connects to the throttle body. That fixed mine.....

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I would not use carb cleaner on fuel inj..... i did and had to replace the eng not fun @ all use a inj cleaner ( Note) <----- this in only if you spray in the throttle body

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I had the sticky gas pedal fixed at the dealer a long time ago under warranty. I believe a recall notice was received on it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
stoute said:
I would not use carb cleaner on fuel inj..... i did and had to replace the eng not fun @ all use a inj cleaner ( Note) <----- this in only if you spray in the throttle body
You are not going to spray anything anywhere where it will ignite. It's not even going to enter the fuel system. This is just to dissolve any dirt or grime that would prevent the spring/cable from operating smoothly.

·
Still Newb
109 Posts
At the dealership we use air intake system cleaner, spray down the throttle blade, and open it up and wipe out as much as you can, its the soot sticking the blade, must do 2 of these a day.

·
Registered
601 Posts
bowtiefan said:
At the dealership we use air intake system cleaner, spray down the throttle blade, and open it up and wipe out as much as you can, its the soot sticking the blade, must do 2 of these a day.

:word:

Carb cleaner is fine as long as you let is dry/evaporate before starting. (Also, lots of bottles have fuel injection on the label, just in smaller print.)

9,778 Posts
Yea man just need to clean out that TB. Had to do this for a friend of mine on his 00 and now it works perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The problem is the close tolerances between the Throttle Body a the blade. Cleaning is a temp fix, but to fix it permanently all ya have to do is sand or smooth the edge of the blade EVER SO SLIGHTLY. Doesn't take much! This will alleviate the problem...did this to my 2000 and have had zero issues since.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The throttle on my 00 Silverado was sticking like that. I took it to the dealership and they told me 'a clogged fuel filter was causing it...' umm, NO! :slap: needless to say I did not leave my truck there for them to fix my clogged fuel filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts