GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Its in the works...
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know the guys over in the street suspension thread made a sticky about the different kind of lower kits (by brand) and I wanted to see if we could get something made here.

If we could get feedback from everyone with a lift kit to give us the size, cost paid for kit, cost to install, likes, dislikes, suggestions and so forth...

The brands collectively identified are: (if you know of more, I'll gladly add them...)

1. Superlift
  2. Skyjacker
  3. RCD
  4. ProComp
  5. Fabtech
  6. Rancho
  7. Rize
  8. Full Traction
  9. Trailmaster
  10. FullThrottle
  11. CST
  12. Dick Cepek
  13. BDS
  14. Rough Country
  15. Tuff Country
  16. Cognito
  17. ThirdCoast

http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/applications/gm/4wd07silverado.html

·
Cocksmith Extraordinaire
4,775 Posts
Rough Country and Tuff Country

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Bds

i think this is a good idea by the way

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
Dick Cepek and all its glory

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Full Throttle 16" kit for '99-'07 HD trucks

Basic kit (Front drop, rear 16" springs, standard shocks, stainless brake lines,) $3400.00
Heim Joint Steering $450.00
Dual Shock Hoops $450.00
Upper Control Arms with uniballs $750.00
6 Fox shocks at $179 each = $1074.00

Total = $6124.00

Install = $550.00

Front and rear extended drive shafts = $280.00 each

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
I think we should make a poll of most prefered brands first.

I run a cognito 10-12" kit and like everything about it so far. No dislikes at all.

Total kit lift kit price with upgrades about 4500 or so
Install - Did myself
Suggestions - If you want the strongest IFS design lift kit on the market and can swing the price for the upgrades do it all.

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Likes-It's the largest IFS lift and is very solid
Dislikes-Rides a little rough in the rear due to the size of the spring, I would go four link and coil overs in the rear if I had it over again.

Fabtech kit
Likes-Silky smooth ride
Dislikes-seems to eat tires quick

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Dick Cepek 6.5" Stage II lift kit for 88-98 trucks
-$16xx shipped to my house
-This included stainless steel brakelines, and 5.5" blocks to lift the rear, plus everything to lift the front.

I did the install myself. If you are going to do this lift yourself, two tools I suggest you invest in are a sawzall and a grinder. The stock front bump stop brackets must be removed. this involves some finesse with the sawzall and then grinding the rest off to get to bare frame for the UCA drop to fit. Also, thick screwdrivers or rolled head pry bars. Those help with aligning holes for bolts to go threw.

Getting all the pieces of the lift to line up together is a little tricky. Do not tighten anything down until you have everything together because if you do some parts will be a pain to install. This was especially true for me when installing the crossbar that connects the two UCA drop brackets and the differential drop bracket. Once everythings together go back and tighten everything. Then recheck yourself and tighten everything again. Do it again if you want. It doesnt hurt to do that.

Also, the front LCA drop bracket is in three pieces. When you go to try to put it together, it will be a pain and barely align. It may even seem like it wont fit at all. I recommend grinding a bit off the bottom of the stock crossmember to get the brackets to go together.

And, as with any lift install, make sure you fully comprehend the instructions before you try to tackle it. I read mine over and over for weeks before doing my lift. Also, run down the list of parts to make sure you have everything you need in the kit and that they didnt forget a few bolts or washers, etc.

Overall, I am VERY satisfied with my Dick Cepek Stage II lift kit. The truck drives great and I had no problems aligning it (as I did that myself as well) The only thing I dont like is my shocks which I plan to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Pro Comp 5" Knuckle Kit.. With employee discount paid about $1100 for the lift including shocks. I paid $400 for installation with at wholesale cost and I had to replace all 4 shocks 6 months after I bought the lift because they were shot and leaking fluid. It turned out to be 6 1/2" up front which screwed some things up as far as lifting the back went. So far no complaints other than my tires wearing down in 1/5 of the time that they should be. Still trying to figure that one out.

·
Its in the works...
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
... If you are going to do this lift yourself, two tools I suggest you invest in are a sawzall and a grinder...
Tools list:

Impact wrench and compressor = Craftsman = Check
Sawzall = DeWalt = Check
Grinder = None so far = No Check = Must purchase (Considering air grinder)

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Here is some pics you requested. Figure I would keep them in the lift thread. Would have been nice if there was something like this when I was building my truck.

f33e6e68.jpg

a6a136b1.jpg

669594a6.jpg

·
Cocksmith Extraordinaire
4,775 Posts
I want to see a pic from the back showing how far your wheels stick out in the front

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
I doesnt even really notice honestly but maybe a couple inches. I dont mind.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
you have FTS listed and Full Throttle. (they are the same lift)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts