GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front of my 1500 Dmax truck is too soft. Truck is a RCSB 1500 4x4, currently has the WY bars. It's decranked about as much as I can go. I have shorter bumpstops up front, and the control arm is resting on them. Tie rod and CV angles are slightly negative, I'm basically about as low as I can go on stock suspension while still being able to align the front end.

I want to swap in stiffer torsion bars because the added weight of the Dmax/Allison (I'm guessing an extra 400-500 lbs) makes the front squishy and a little unpredictable, so I need something stronger up front. I went to a local scrap yard and they had several GK and GL bar trucks available...I could get a set of bars and keys for about $70. I like my ride height, not looking for a lift, but I am worried that the GK or GL bars (max torque in the mid 8000s vs the current WY max torque of 5900-ish) will either make the truck ride like crap or that it will force me to add unwanted height to the front end. If I could find a set of bars around the 7200 mark I think that would be more ideal, but I'm not sure that I'll have much luck with that.

Two questions....can the GK bars be installed in a way that I can keep my current ride height, and how firm will the ride be? I've read a lot of stuff about putting these in lifted trucks but nothing about lowered trucks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts