GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i'm new to this forumn so bare with me here. I have a 04 SWB Chevy. I ordered a set of 22's about a week ago. There the Limited 702's. I ordered a set of Nitto tires with the wheels. The size of them is 305/40/22. I also ordered a 2/4 DJM kit for it. I'm really worried this is not gonna work. Maybe this question has been answered and i haven't seen it. The Local Chevy dealer here lowers some trucks and fixs them up and then trys to sell them for 6 grand more so i figured i'd do it myself and save some $$. The Technicians say i can do the drop and the 22's, no doubt about it. A few tire shops in town say i should just slap a shackle kit on the back to level it and be done with it. I've been looking at some of yalls trucks and i love the 2/4 look. But at the same time, i don't wanna kill the tires. As far as backspacing, stupid me didn't even bother to ask before i bought the wheels. Any help would be greatly appreciated and i mean greatly appreciated. I've been worry about this subject for sometime now and i need to lay it to rest! Thanks again guys!

·
WorkinSmarterNotHarder
450 Posts
I think those tires are going to be too big.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
It is going to be cutting it very close, and alot of it will depend on the backspacing of your wheels. What are the specs on them?

305/40/22 is 31.6" tall, so you are an inch and a half taller than stock tires and going down 2/4. It is going to be close and may rub. You may try looking at a 265/40/22 or something around there to have it work a little better without rubbing.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man i couldn't tell ya right off hand what the specs are on this rim. I sorta jumped in too quick without looking into it. I have searched using google, trying to find out the specs but have found no luck. I did measure the tire the other day though and i measured an even 31 inches. The tech at the dealer said as long as i wasn't over 31" it would all be good. The tire is a 305 and nowhere in anyones post have i red anyone using a tire that wide. What to do, what to do. Thats about all i know Y2Ksierra. Anymore idea or thoughts would be great! Thanks again guys

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
running my tires, i'd have to say that a 305/40 is gunna be real close on a 2/4 drop

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so you don't think my 305/40's will work real good wit hthe 2/4 kit? Maybe the local dealer will trade me out tires. What size would you go with chris. It's do or die time for me and i'm not gonna mess this up! Do you know of anyone who's tried my setup? Would you give it a go? Thanks alot bud

·
Registered
476 Posts
Chevyon22's said:
so you don't think my 305/40's will work real good wit hthe 2/4 kit? Maybe the local dealer will trade me out tires. What size would you go with chris. It's do or die time for me and i'm not gonna mess this up! Do you know of anyone who's tried my setup? Would you give it a go? Thanks alot bud

Thant is a very wide tire, I'm running 255/55/18's on a 8" rim with 5" bs with a 2/4 drop and I don't think I would go much wider.
The main problem with answering your question is you don't know the backspacing of the wheels. What kind are they and what width? Can you ask the people you ordered from?
I see a lot of dealers put rims / tires on stock height trucks and jack the price up. Around here the dealers wouldnt know a shackle from a lug nut so I wouldn't put much faith in the "tech" at the dealership. They know a lot when it comes to stock vehicles but as soon as it's modified they are lost and just guess.

Just my $0.02
LK

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
I think It would work... well hoping that your suspension never compresses enough in the rear to chew up the tires from the rear fender lip. I think in the front you can get away with minimal rubbing and you'll be fine.

I would look into a 265/40 to be on the safe side, But I'm not saying that a 305 won't work with a 2/4 drop, I just know that it's gunna be real close. Either way, roll your rear fender lips all the way up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys, my rim size is 22x9.5. Out beside every size of this rim is another number which i think might be the backspacing. The number beside my size is +15 RWD. Maybe this is a little help to yall.
What size tire are you running again chris? How much clearance do you have on the sides and the top? Maybe, just maybe my backspacing will help me out, i dunno.
And about fender rolling.....i've heard of it but i don't and wouldn't really know how to do it. How did you roll yours? Looks to me it would "stretch" the paint to the point of chipping it.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
the most you can do with thoose tires are a 0/2 drop... my friend tried to run a 2/4 with thoose tires, and he rubbed like crazy. He doesn't for some reason rub at an 0/2 now...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the most you can do with thoose tires are a 0/2 drop... my friend tried to run a 2/4 with thoose tires, and he rubbed like crazy. He doesn't for some reason rub at an 0/2 now...

So the tire is too wide basically? Even with a +15 backspacing? How does that backspacing deal work anyways? I guess i need to look into maybe a narrower tire.....then it would work right. I've already have the 2/4 kit and i had one hell of a time getting it so i don't really wanna full with shipping it back or anything.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Well just put the shackles on with the tires you have now until you can get some 265's, then later put the rest of the kit on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, i'm still gonna see if i can get the dealer to trade me out tires. Even though 265's are cheaper, money wise, than 305's i would do it just to get a drop. Maybe i'll luck up. Thanks alot for the help

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the rims came in today and i had them mounted. The guy that mounted them has a NBS extended cab GMC with a 2/4 kit. We mounted two rims and tires and put them on and he jumped up and down on the front bumper and couldn't get them to rub. I asked him to cut his wheels short so he did and it BARELY rubs the back of the fender well. I figure as long as i don't cut it short, i'll be ok.....but then again, how often do you cut it super short while your driving! He jumped up and down on the back bumper and it barely rubbed......wouldn't rub if his fender was rolled. BUT, he had 15 tires and about 150 pounds of mulch in his bed also. So i'm very sure the kit will work perfectly. He mentioned that he thought that extended cabs tend to sit a little lower in stock formation than regular or SWB models. I came home and rolled the living hell out of my rear lips and i'm set i believe. Thanks again to everyone with there input on this subject!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm gonna take before the drop, after the drop and after the drop with the dub-dueces! I'm still waitng on my kit to come in which should be soon.....just bare with me! It's gonna be mean dude :head:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i got my drop kit today, mounted the shackles...no problem. Took sevral hours to chisel and grind the hell out of the big rivets.............and my hangers won't fit. I was so mad. THey said they was for a 99-03 chevrolet. I measured from center hole to center hole on the holes in the frame and then on the hangers and their off big time....nowheres near mounting. I even tried the passanger and drivers side to see if they had mislabeled. I didn't even try the coils.......figured what the hell for. I did mount the wheels up though and it's wierd but the tires sit identical to how they did on the guys GMC where i had them mounted up at. Don't really look like i could go another two in the back, let alone the front. Anyways, i figured i'd let some fury out on here. Later on guys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts