GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 01 ECSB in July. Im just getting into this truck really, and dont know much about it. Whats the stock HP rating on these 4.8 motors. And what tranny do they typically come with? Love the truck though. Put a 3/4 drop with 22", just bought the K&N FIPK for it yesterday, and am pumped to throw it on. Thanks.:bowtie:

·
Registered
305 Posts
well, it has about 270 HP @ 5200 RPM with bolt ons you can get more hp then a stock 5.3l which has about 285 HP @ 5200 RPM. The tranny you most likely have is a 4L60E. To help the tranny out get a transgo shift kit, a corvette shift servo, and after you get all that, get a mail order PCM tune from westers or nelson or wait4me, depending on budget, a tune will help gain a bit of HP and possibly better gas mileage depending on type of tune. Also dont forget a exhaust, for the best sound get a corsa, or for a budget get a magna flow or borla exhaust, and mebay even some headers for that engine.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Here is RandomHero's Guide to modding your truck for dumbies. I am in no way an expert, but I learned much of this stuff not too long ago so it is still fresh in my mind.

Here are some great engine modifications and tranny modifications to do for your silverado.

The best thing to start off with is a tune. Many think that Hypertech, Superchips, or Jet programmers are your best bet....WRONG.

Your best bet for a tune is to:
1.) Get a mail order tune from such companies as:
Wait4me, Nelson, PCMForLess, Westerns or Charlie Wheatley.
2.) Buy EFI Live or HPTuners

Option one is a great idea for the newbie in truck performance. The idea is that you send the company your money and they send you back a performance computer than is tuned to your truck. Generally people see around 30rwhp increase which is much more than you can say for a hypertech programmer.

Option 2 is personal tuning software used by more advanced tuners. It has all the tuning perameters from: Changing your tire size to your entire Spark Table for high and low octane tables.

The next most beneficial thing is the exhaust:
First start out with a good muffler. Many like the Corsa Cat-Back systems but they are very costly(around $700) and few can afford them. If you can justify spending $700 i'd recomend running a dynomax bullet, magnaflow or borla muffler. Just remember to stay away from Flowmaster

After your muffler is done I'd recomend doing headers:
Headers are made by many brands some of the most popular are Dynatech, Pacesetter, and Thorley. Dynatech headers are by far the most expensive but they offer a completely new Y-pipe that is needed when running longtubes. Pacesetter seems to be the best bang for your buck but their y-pipe does not include catylitic converters.

Just remember one rule when picking out headers: Don't buy shorties!!! They may seem great because they're labeled "headers" but stock manifolds flow pretty well and unless you step up to longtube headers, your just wasting your time.

After doing that I would look into E-Fans. Electric fans replace the engine driven fan. The best place to get E-fans is off an ls1 or lt1 camaro or trans-am. E-fans typically run around $100, but you can forget the harness to run them. Nelson Performance has a plug and play harness that plugs into your PCM(computer). This will allow your fans to turn on only when they are needed.

Next is an intake. I must admit that this is a highly overrated mod, but still a useful one. There are 10 million different types of intake systems the most common being K&N's fipk system. Some people have seen great results from cutting the bottom of their air box out and running a K&N filter, others like running the open element system the FIPK offers.

Next are Underdrive Pullies. These replace your stock crank pulley and alternator pulley. It frees up horse power and is a good cheap mod. Just don't forget that alternator pulley, otherwise you may have problems when your alternator isn't turning fast enough.
After doing these simple mods you be looking at over 300hp/300tq(Assuming you have a 5.3L expect about 30 less for a 4.8). With that said you need to start looking at new transmission parts. You can look at a Trans-go Shift kit and Corvette servos to tie you over for now. Anything further is beyond my level of knowledge.

This simple list of things is a great way to start with modding your engine. All these things can be had for under $2000 which seems like a lot but you can see around 75rwhp gains over stock.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a ton guys. I knew the stuff to put on, but the names and companies vary. I went from compact car, to full size trucks. Next for me will be a exhaust. Then tune. After that, then I will probably dig into the tranny. If you guys have websites or something to check stuff out, Id appriciate it. Thanks for the help. Oh, and one more thing, what size throttle bodies are on these trucks??

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Good info from RH. :D

Most of the info you want to know is here somewhere if you search. At least the basics, more indepth questions you should make a post if you can't find what you need. Just please not another "what muffler" :rofl2:

Stock TB is ~77mm or so. Plenty large and it's matched to the inlet of the manifold opening. Best bet is just to have it ported and fitted with a thinner blade. One member on here may start doing them on the cheap. I went with an 80mm BBK as I got it for less than the cost of a ported stock.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
yes i am still considering doing it for cheap, as i could always use the money (like most other people) for truck mods, it'd be a Lethal Performance throttle body in assosciation with Level 7 racing.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Good info from RH. :D

Most of the info you want to know is here somewhere if you search. At least the basics, more indepth questions you should make a post if you can't find what you need. Just please not another "what muffler" :rofl2:

Stock TB is ~77mm or so. Plenty large and it's matched to the inlet of the manifold opening. Best bet is just to have it ported and fitted with a thinner blade. One member on here may start doing them on the cheap. I went with an 80mm BBK as I got it for less than the cost of a ported stock.
Thanks buddy:shake:

I figured I had nothing better to do last night and I saved that post so when somebody asks what a wait4me is, or what exhaust to do I'll just paste my post in there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet, well the throttle body wont come until way later. But wanted to know at least whats size. Thats cool, and by the time I want to get it ported Lethal Performance, will be in a full swing. Thanks everybody

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
just make a thread and sticky it
I would, but I was afraid all the moderators wouldn't like my info and they would deny me stick-age.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Hmmmmm...... and here I thought folks on this board didn't take kindly to us 4.8 owners? (viz: http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73400 ).:pow:
It's not that at all, but it just doesn't make sense to spend all that money modding a 4.8 when you can get the same power but for half the cost with a 6.0 swap

Also the difference was that he's wanting to know simple bolt ons. You were doing a cam swap, putting new rod bolts and the works, you even made it sound like you were taking the engine out to do all that which makes absolutely no sense since you said you didn't want to go to a 6.0.

It's kinda like if you used an expedition as an all out offroad vehicle. Sure it would different but it's gonna cost 3 times as much as a jeep and that jeep could still go further than an expedition could no matter how you look at it.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
could just pull the bottom end out and put the 5.3's internals in ti and call it a day...

IMO: 6.0's are played out and everybody thinks there a badass cuz they've got a 6.0 and a radix...given dan has a 6.0 now, but still his old 5.3 motor would whoop anybody's ass with a 6.0, if only it werent for that piston lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Off the subject, but what would a exsb 4.8 run (approximatly) in a quarter? Wish I had a few runs before I started putting bolt on's onto it. I really did feel a big diffrence with the intake. May be the great sound playing mind games, but I will let it. :)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
could just pull the bottom end out and put the 5.3's internals in ti and call it a day...

IMO: 6.0's are played out and everybody thinks there a badass cuz they've got a 6.0 and a radix...given dan has a 6.0 now, but still his old 5.3 motor would whoop anybody's ass with a 6.0, if only it werent for that piston lol.
Ignorance is a bitch aint it? :nono:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
its not ignorance, its a fact...a 6.0 could beat a 5.3 if you do a single handed mod by mod replica to each motor...but a radix on a 6.0 doesn't mean your truck is "the shit"

5.3 has alot of potential, people just skip over it and would rather have bolt on horsepower cuz they usually don't know enough about internals to build a motor.

Its the same theory as people with 454's, yeah their great motors, but ive seen alot of SB 406's beat the ever livin fuck outta a 454 and they were both in monte carlo's.

Dave

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
its not ignorance, its a fact...a 6.0 could beat a 5.3 if you do a single handed mod by mod replica to each motor...but a radix on a 6.0 doesn't mean your truck is "the shit"

5.3 has alot of potential, people just skip over it and would rather have bolt on horsepower cuz they usually don't know enough about internals to build a motor.

Its the same theory as people with 454's, yeah their great motors, but ive seen alot of SB 406's beat the ever livin fuck outta a 454 and they were both in monte carlo's.

Dave

So tell me, how is a 6.0 swap played out so to say?? Yea I think the radix is junk and there plently of better ways to go faster. I dont think you understand the concept of reliable horsepower. Its not that lot of these people just dont know how to build a motor, but its becuase they can swap in a motor and have just as much HP with a bolt-on motor and it will be more reliable and get better MPG. Bigger is better buddy, 6.0 > 5.3 :read:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is RandomHero's Guide to modding your truck for dumbies. I am in no way an expert, but I learned much of this stuff not too long ago so it is still fresh in my mind.

Here are some great engine modifications and tranny modifications to do for your silverado.

The best thing to start off with is a tune. Many think that Hypertech, Superchips, or Jet programmers are your best bet....WRONG.

Your best bet for a tune is to:
1.) Get a mail order tune from such companies as:
Wait4me, Nelson, PCMForLess, Westerns or Charlie Wheatley.
2.) Buy EFI Live or HPTuners

Option one is a great idea for the newbie in truck performance. The idea is that you send the company your money and they send you back a performance computer than is tuned to your truck. Generally people see around 30rwhp increase which is much more than you can say for a hypertech programmer.

Option 2 is personal tuning software used by more advanced tuners. It has all the tuning perameters from: Changing your tire size to your entire Spark Table for high and low octane tables.

The next most beneficial thing is the exhaust:
First start out with a good muffler. Many like the Corsa Cat-Back systems but they are very costly(around $700) and few can afford them. If you can justify spending $700 i'd recomend running a dynomax bullet, magnaflow or borla muffler. Just remember to stay away from Flowmaster

After your muffler is done I'd recomend doing headers:
Headers are made by many brands some of the most popular are Dynatech, Pacesetter, and Thorley. Dynatech headers are by far the most expensive but they offer a completely new Y-pipe that is needed when running longtubes. Pacesetter seems to be the best bang for your buck but their y-pipe does not include catylitic converters.

Just remember one rule when picking out headers: Don't buy shorties!!! They may seem great because they're labeled "headers" but stock manifolds flow pretty well and unless you step up to longtube headers, your just wasting your time.

After doing that I would look into E-Fans. Electric fans replace the engine driven fan. The best place to get E-fans is off an ls1 or lt1 camaro or trans-am. E-fans typically run around $100, but you can forget the harness to run them. Nelson Performance has a plug and play harness that plugs into your PCM(computer). This will allow your fans to turn on only when they are needed.

Next is an intake. I must admit that this is a highly overrated mod, but still a useful one. There are 10 million different types of intake systems the most common being K&N's fipk system. Some people have seen great results from cutting the bottom of their air box out and running a K&N filter, others like running the open element system the FIPK offers.

Next are Underdrive Pullies. These replace your stock crank pulley and alternator pulley. It frees up horse power and is a good cheap mod. Just don't forget that alternator pulley, otherwise you may have problems when your alternator isn't turning fast enough.
After doing these simple mods you be looking at over 300hp/300tq(Assuming you have a 5.3L expect about 30 less for a 4.8). With that said you need to start looking at new transmission parts. You can look at a Trans-go Shift kit and Corvette servos to tie you over for now. Anything further is beyond my level of knowledge.

This simple list of things is a great way to start with modding your engine. All these things can be had for under $2000 which seems like a lot but you can see around 75rwhp gains over stock.
I would just do the regular thing, buy the boltons untill I had no more boltons to buy and the money to upgrade to a 5.3 or even a plain old LS1 5.7....just keep in mind that you'll be upgradeing ater to a bigger motor EX: Buy the largest header for the 5.3L without sacrificing HP. Dont buy heads until you can swap the motor...they wont fit on the bigger bores..,etc, etc...

OR just put some boltson on it drive it and be happy... :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts