GMC Truck Forum banner

Stock cat back removal

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  HBjeff 
#1 ·
Can the stock cat back be removed without cutting it? Or will it get caught up on the axle (2wd truck). Does the stock exhaust have any slip connections (unlikely)? Its an 04 5.3 silverado ec sb.

#2 ·
It should just drop right out provided you have the proper ground clearance to move it and wiggle it out.

There's two bolts up on the collector (15mm?) and then like 3 hangers that need to come out. I'd lube them with WD40 or something similar and use a big set of Channel-locks to pull them.

Also, wear gloves and glasses when doing this. There's lots of bullshit under the truck that can cut your ass up and get in your eye. :shake:

#3 ·
Hit Man X said:
It should just drop right out provided you have the proper ground clearance to move it and wiggle it out.

There's two bolts up on the collector (15mm?) and then like 3 hangers that need to come out. I'd lube them with WD40 or something similar and use a big set of Channel-locks to pull them.

Also, wear gloves and glasses when doing this. There's lots of bullshit under the truck that can cut your ass up and get in your eye. :shake:
Thanks, and about the first part... yea thats what i was wondering. Maybe ill need to jack it up and get use of the stock jack to get some extra clearance. On vettes they need I think it is 34" of ground clearance to get it off without pulling apart the whole rear or cutting it. Thats quite a bit lol.

#4 ·
LOL, that's a lot of clearance. I like those Rhino ramps that I purchased to get a lil more clearance under vehicles too.

#5 ·
I had mine out in 15 min after I jacked the rear up with a block of wood and a floor jack, just stretch the suspension out without lifting the tires off the ground, loosen the 2 nuts on the flange then remove the 2 middle rubber hangers, then the one at the tail pipe end. gently let the rear down it should rest on the axle. remove the 2 nuts from the flange...now for the fun part... I then laid right under the muffler (about center) lift and take it to the rear of the truck just enough to clear the front crossmember then tip the front down to the ground and go foward with it working the tail pipe over the rear axle. NOW all you have to do is find a palce to hang it in your garage !!!!!

#6 ·
2004 Sierra Z71 said:
I had mine out in 15 min after I jacked the rear up with a block of wood and a floor jack, just stretch the suspension out without lifting the tires off the ground, loosen the 2 nuts on the flange then remove the 2 middle rubber hangers, then the one at the tail pipe end. gently let the rear down it should rest on the axle. remove the 2 nuts from the flange...now for the fun part... I then laid right under the muffler (about center) lift and take it to the rear of the truck just enough to clear the front crossmember then tip the front down to the ground and go foward with it working the tail pipe over the rear axle. NOW all you have to do is find a palce to hang it in your garage !!!!!

The attic is where my stock crap goes! :read:

#7 ·
Good thing I have no garage... ill figure something out or have to throw it away. I really dont want to throw it away (just incase kinda thing) but I realistically dont have any place to put it. I havent started yet, food in a minute then down to the underground parking garage to try to do it. Ill let you guys know how it goes, and sounds :)

#9 ·
FUCK FUCK FUCK
im bitter lol it seems like im going to have to cut it. That over axle section isnt coming off, the back side keeps hitting the top of the axle. And if I turn it on its side the very last piece hits the leaf. But i have no way to cut it.

#10 ·
Matt- i was able to get mine off without cutting easy. i backed up on some 7 inch ramps. can you get some 2x4s to back up onto???

because of the length of the stock system it does hit the spring. BUT if you take out your spare it will come off with EASE :read: sorry i forgot to include that this morning :crazy:

#12 ·
Yea thats what I was thinking. Oh well this gave me a legit excuse to miss out on two parties that I didnt want to go to.

The stock jack on 2wd susp. doesnt allow much height. I was looking at the spare thinking I could pull the exhaust out the side of the truck and if I pulled the spare down I could clear the over axle pipe. So since you said that I might try it, but I didnt want to do it only to find out it wasnt going to matter and now I have a spare to put back also..

#14 ·
Got it, sounds real nice lots of popping so far but thats to be expected with a straight through muffler and especially without the over axle pipe. The female end of the flip fit had a small dent in it and with the slim tolerance as it was, it wasnt going to slip on. So ill bang it out with a hammer and finish it up tomorrow :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.