GMC Truck Forum banner

stock radio and system?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Downfall 
#1 ·
Can I hook up an amp to my stock radio? Does it have RCA outs, or do i have to buy a new head unit?

#2 ·
You can hook an amp to the stock unit. But you need to buy an adapter that will allow for rca jacks. I think it's called a high to low output. Most stereo stores sell them for about $25.00. You will also need the low voltage output adapter so your stereo can turn on the amp. also about $25.00. They both come with directions on how to install them to your stock unit.
I'm looking into the same set up.

#3 ·
The problem with using the stock deck is that as you turn up the volume, it attenuates the bass. So as you turn it up to bump the subs, instead of it wont get louder. I'd save the money that you'd need for the line level converter and just go for a different deck :imo

#4 ·
00Silverado said:
The problem with using the stock deck is that as you turn up the volume, it attenuates the bass. So as you turn it up to bump the subs, instead of it wont get louder. I'd save the money that you'd need for the line level converter and just go for a different deck :imo
I have to disagree slightly ... I am running a stock deck, with two high low converters to control the front and rear speakers, and I get plenty of bass ... but I will say that right at the very upper limit of the volume control .... imagine volume is 1-10, 9 is louder than 8, but 10 is quieter than 9 ... I have no complaints about it and neither has anyone else :read:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.