GMC Truck Forum banner

Stock tires almost rubbing upper control arms after leveling.

477 4
I have a 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4, and I just had the Bilstein 5100 self leveling shocks/struts installed at the highest setting (1.85") on the front. After having the 5100s installed and getting it aligned directly after installation, the sidewall of my factory tires (265/65/18--31.6" tall x 10.4: wide) on my factory stock 18" rims are now very close (1/8' or less) to rubbing my upper control arms at full tilt. Also, I have no other blocks or lift on my truck whatsoever.

I see countless people online saying they put 275/70/18 (i.e. 33" tall x 11" wide) on their stock Silverado rims with no rubbing issues with 2" leveling kits and/or the 5100 leveling shock/strut, but with my stock 265/65/18 tires are already on the verge of rubbing my upper control arms, and the 275/70/18 is over a half inch wider than my factory tire. I feel certain the 275/70/18 will rub the upper control arms.

I like the factory rims and don't really want to buy new rims, and I am also would like to avoid using wheel spacers. What and I missing here? Has anyone else run into this issue? I did a lot of research and thought the 275/70/18 would fit without rubbing, so I am really disappointed. Thanks for any help/advise!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· local schitzophrentic
299 Posts
Wow looks to me the only option is different wheels or spacers, or check out some aftermarket control arms that might possibly give more clearance, it looks like your tie rod is pretty close to the rim too, good luck

· Registered
98 Posts
That is close. Are there any shims on the control arm at all? They may have removed them to compensate for something else that may have been askew. I'd have the alignment checked on a dealer rack or those rims are the wrong ones.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4, and I just had the Bilstein 5100 self leveling shocks/struts installed at the highest setting (1.85") on the front. After having the 5100s installed and getting it aligned directly after installation, the sidewall of my factory tires (265/65/18--31.6" tall x 10.4: wide) on my factory stock 18" rims are now very close (1/8' or less) to rubbing my upper control arms at full tilt. Also, I have no other blocks or lift on my truck whatsoever.

I see countless people online saying they put 275/70/18 (i.e. 33" tall x 11" wide) on their stock Silverado rims with no rubbing issues with 2" leveling kits and/or the 5100 leveling shock/strut, but with my stock 265/65/18 tires are already on the verge of rubbing my upper control arms, and the 275/70/18 is over a half inch wider than my factory tire. I feel certain the 275/70/18 will rub the upper control arms.

I like the factory rims and don't really want to buy new rims, and I am also would like to avoid using wheel spacers. What and I missing here? Has anyone else run into this issue? I did a lot of research and thought the 275/70/18 would fit without rubbing, so I am really disappointed. Thanks for any help/advise!
Why not try 255 tire series?

· local schitzophrentic
299 Posts
Why doesn't the tire manufacturer's stop playing games with misleading sizes, everytime I've bought 33" mud tires the tape measure always shows that the tire is actually closer to a 35" tire, guess the guy that builds tires plays golf with the guy that builds lift kits....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts