GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i was just looking around and i saw a truck that had a straight axle conversion. I was wondering what are the benfit of these and how much does it cost to get one?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well, they're much stronger for one thing if you do it right, so you can run bigger tires and do more offroad, and you can also get alot more flex out of it than with an IFS setup. Costs about 8 grand, on the cheap side. Thats it in a nutshell :)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
NastyGMC said:
8 grand?!??!?!?! lol, yeah if you buy everything.

As opposed to what? ...stealing it? :LOL:

Buy, rebuild, paint...etc. I could spend alot more :) Going from stock to a d60 front 14ff back with tires, wheels, the works I could spend 8k easily.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
KoTToN said:
I was gona say 8 grand is a little steep.

If you do it "right" 8 grand it on the small side normally costing 10K if not more.
Of course some people save a ton of money by doing the majority of the work there self

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
willyswanter said:
I did all my own work and it cost me about 10k... Finding a 79 d60 and rebuilding it completely cost over 3k by itself...
oh sure and i bet next your gona say you completely did all the fab work on your truck all by yourself and used it to climb up rocks in calico :wank:

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
and that reminds me willyswanter...you need to get a damn shop open already so I can get my truck done. Lift keeps getting pushed back further and further and straight axle just seems that much more tempting

·
Banned
487 Posts
i bet i could do an SFA swap for under 2 grand.

swap out the drivers side transfer-case, put a passneger side in, find a dana 44, put it in, fab up some brackets and go. it would work for wheelin.

·
Banned
487 Posts
well i never said gears... with a big enough enigne you can run any tire you want with 4.10 gears.. i'v ran 40" tires with 2 trucks with 4.10 gears and have no problem spinning them in them in the mud or on pavement.

Oh yeah, gotta figure in that i can get stuff 10x cheaper here than you guys in bigger citys.. i know where theres a dana44 with 4.56 gears and a posi with 0 miles on a knuckle to knuckle rebuild for $500

and a dana44 with 4.10's for $75

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well 4.10's wouldn't work for a crawler... And $500 for a dana 44 with a posi is way too much...

Anyway, yeah you could do it for under 2k but why? Your going to end up with an unrebuilt pos dana 44 that breaks and burns up bearings, stretched stock brake lines, no shocks, old springs with worn out bushings, and a crappy stretched out driveshaft... Sure you could run down the street kinda straight and hit a few puddles but not much else.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
KoTToN said:
oh sure and i bet next your gona say you completely did all the fab work on your truck all by yourself and used it to climb up rocks in calico :wank:
Psshh, my truck was built for show and to get da hoes g.

and that reminds me willyswanter...you need to get a damn shop open already so I can get my truck done. Lift keeps getting pushed back further and further and straight axle just seems that much more tempting
Yeah yeah yeah, I'm cought in the never ending spiral of escrow with the property at the moment... I can't make the land developers go any quicker...

·
Banned
487 Posts
the dana 44 for $75 was just rebuilt.. i can get brakelines made from our tractor repair shop for $25 a piece, shocks are $30 a piece from heckethorn, springs off ebay, and i can get driveshafts made for $25 from a guy that owns a shop. :read:

How else do you think i got that pickup in my sig built when i was a sophmore in highschool?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
heh ORU charges an arm and a leg and fabritech is even more. Both are good kits, but $$$$$$$$$$

1 - 20 of 28 Posts