GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't FELT a difference in the acceleration or braking of the truck, but when I'm driving, usually at lower speeds I can hear a very strange clicking or clanking type noise from under the truck. Sounds almost similar to if you hit a empty soda can with a pen or something. It's a light noise, not like heavy metal hitting eachother. It will sometimes happen when I'm just accelerating normally, but most often when I release the brakes, coast for a moment and hit the accelerator again. I can cause the sound almost every time if I'm coasting say around the 20-30mph range and firmly tap the brakes and release very quickly. It's not the tranny shifting since I was listening closly during acceleration/shifting, but my best guess so far is that it's coming somewhere from the tranny or driveshaft. Any ideas fellas?

The truck is a 98 Tahoe 4x4 with 158xxx miles on it.

·
Da turdy point buck
101 Posts
If its what I'm thinking of, its normal from what I was told

something about floating gears I think :think:

I think I have the same issue.. its really annoying.. took it in to be looked at along with a steering issue, and it's apparently normal on a GMFS..

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:think:

Really? Floating gears makes sense. Wonder if it just makes more noise with age? I know I would have noticed it before if it had been making the noise. After I replaced my A/C lines I never got them vacuumed to remove all the air, thus making the A/C compressor clutch engage and disengage making another clunking noise I noticed right away. It'll be pretty annoying if it is indeed normal and there's nothing I can do about it. I want my truck to run smooth and sound norma and cleanl. Just like my newer serpentine belt that squeaks like crazy and I can't stand!

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
lots of things click. if you havent noticed it before, its probably not normal. take it to your local dealer and have it checked out. If you dont like the idea of paying the $100 checkout, check your u-joints for any signs of rust. if there is any rust around any of your u-joints (coming out from in them) they need replaced. if they've never been replaced, you'll need a torch to heat the glue that holds them in place. there are many, many things that can cause this. the dealer should be able to point you in the right direction for sure though

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I think I may have to break down and take it in for a check-up. Better to catch something now than face something catastrophic later

·
Banned
36 Posts
My 2004 5.3L Sierra CC 4X4 Z71 is doing the exact same thing. I checked My U-joints, and they are total rust...I tried to check to see if they are lose, but i could mot move them at all.
I have 86,000Km on mine
Did you guys ever find a solution?

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
if there is rust coming out from under the caps, its very likely u-joints. the nbs has a problem with slip yokes causing a "bump clunk squak" type of noise and there is an updated slip yolk for this

·
Banned
36 Posts
I had both of my rear U-joints replaced...and problem solved. I had new U-joints with grease nipples installed, so I can grease them....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts