GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am trying to swap out my rotors to my truck and got down to doing it yesterday. Lucky for me i did the left side and it went off without a hitch. Unlucky for me is that I went to the other side to find that whoever did my last tire rotation stripped one of my lug nuts. Any idea on how to get this off? I tried a set of vice grips but i cant get a breaker bar on the vice grips due to my tires sticking out to far past the stock rim. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, I've tried the sockets that grip the side of the nut instead of the corners but i only had a 3/8 size and snapped on right off. I hoping to not have to go out and buy a new set of 1/2 sockets the same way.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Well i know that most tire shops have a tool that definately get it off, i forgot what it was called, so if you could throw your other wheels back on and go get them to break it and just buy another lugnut.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet, looks like thats what i'll be doing...thanks!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
yea, most shops can get it off. Or, what I did to mine when I had this problem was hammered on a smaller sized socket and was able to break it loose. You can also weld on a socket if you're handy w/ a welder.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i use a set of lug and lock removers at work. got them from sears for around $39.00 come in sizes to7/8 if you can find them now, havent seen any in a while

good luck.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Air chisel too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i use a 4 way lug wrench to bust mine off. I have stripped so many lug nuts and studs from changing tires on my Camaro, and even once on my Yukon. All I did was just started cranking down on the 4way until the stud snapped, knocked out the rest off the stud through the back side, and put a new one in. It is not hard to do at all , you just have to be able to put some ass behind it to break the stud.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts