GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you PT.net guys have already seen this, but I though I post it over here too for all to enjoy :)

Ok, So I've had the STS kit on my truck for two and a half years and have been quite happy with it. No real problems, just a few miner one's with extreme cold with the oil pump blowing fuses and the waste gate freezing. So I decided to build a custom front mount setup, using the same turbo and waste gate (t-60 turbo with .68 a/r exhaust housing and 38 mm Tial WG 7psi spring), so I could judge the difference in spool speed. All I can say is, WOW! This thing spools SO much faster with this front mount. To be fair though, I did have some exhaust leaks pre-turbo I found when I took the STS off which probable was slowing spool time, but still, wow.

The first thing I did was pull the STS kit off, (yes I know its dirty :lol: )
DSCF0086.jpg

Then I started building a passenger side manifold. I built it out of schedule 10, 304 stainless steel pipe and 90* weld-alls.
DSCF0090.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

DSCF0096-1.jpg

Came out pretty good I think :)
I also built a jig wile I was at it, so I could replicate this manifold.
DSCF0113.jpg

Then I built a crossover from the stock manifold on the drivers side to the back of the custom manifold on the pass side. It was built out of 2 1/2" mandrel bent aluminized tubing with a SS flex in it for longevity, and a down pipe
DSCF0104.jpg

DSCF0114.jpg

I also mounted the waste gate in the crossover under the truck (it was more convenient and it works GREAT!)
DSCF0100.jpg

I only had to modify one of the charge pipes to connect my existing intercooler.
DSCF0102.jpg

Everything came out pretty good,
DSCF0125.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

I also built all new 3" exhaust out the back of the truck reusing the old Warlock muffler (after a good wire wheel job and some high temp ceramic paint) and mandrel bends. It exits in the stock location, very sleeper ;) :lol: I will have more picks of it later when I put it up on my buddy's lift.

Oh and I have a few turbos laying around too :jest:
DSCF0119.jpg

I was going though some old logs last night and it looks like it spools about a second quicker with the new setup then it did with the STS.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Nice work.

Have an extra T76 that'll work w/ an STS kit layin there?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work.

Have an extra T76 that'll work w/ an STS kit layin there?

The three on the left are MP T-70's and the other is the 60 thats on the truck now. I am going to be selling the STS kit possible with one of the MP's or a T67 though ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ya, and I built this kit in a little over a week! :D

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

The three on the left are MP T-70's and the other is the 60 thats on the truck now. I am going to be selling the STS kit possible with one of the MP's or a T67 though ;)

PM me if you're interested in selling one of the T70s

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
That is freaking awesome looking.

wanna build one for a 98 5.7?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
very nice and clean man, great work

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Saw it over on PT.net... great looking setup. I always wondered how those STS's hold up in areas that get "not so great" weather... I guess that answers that.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I just found out Synergy in Fremont has a twin turbo kit for our trucks in the works and they are almost done with it :head3: I want my name on the waiting list for that kit :shake:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the kind words! The STS kit stood up quite well, I put probable 40K+ miles on it and it's still in great shape, just needs a bit of cleaning. The only down side I didn't like is there is a lot of grave roads where I live and the filter would get dirty fast it I did much driving on them. Other then that, I am quite happy with it. But the new front mount does spool much faster around town :D, and I really like that!. I don't think it will make any more peak power, or be faster at the strip, cuz I still make the same psi of boost and at the track, I could brake stall it to 10psi for the launch. It will just brake stall quicker with the front mount.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, made it to the track today. Last time out up here DA was 8800' and best runs was a [email protected] and could only builds 1-2psi of boost on the line (2.39 60' i think).

Today, DA was 8400' and best run was [email protected]:D. Same boost (11.5psi) and tune. Could easily build 8-10psi of boost on the line :). I'm pretty happy with my front mount :D :drive:

·
In memoriam...
3,860 Posts
Nice craftwork there. Sure looks like you know what you're doing.

...I don't think it will make any more peak power, or be faster at the strip, cuz I still make the same psi of boost and at the track, I could brake stall it to 10psi for the launch. It will just brake stall quicker with the front mount.
Makes it more responsive around town, and thus more fun, though doesn't it ?

·
attention whore
708 Posts
Looks incredible. Wish I had mad metal crafting skillz like that!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts