GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the turbo only puts out 6 psi i know you should be able to adjust it and up the boost on it easily and procharger kit im assuming is intercooled ans puts out 9 psi and with a pulley you can up the boost that way just wondering which would be the better route they both are the same money so thats not a factor.

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
turbo psi and supercharger psi are different. the supercharger uses some of the engines hp to drive it. i would go with a turbo set-up. i'd love to put a turbo on my little 4.3. some of the S-10 guys are running 12psi turbo kits on the 4.3 V6, and getting lots of hp.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet thanks. the hp gains that they showed on the turbo didnt seem as much as with the supercharger but that was only with 6 psi so up it and get more plus the awesome sound of running the turbo instead of the muffler!

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
OrangeCrush said:
word easy to up the boost, and you dont have to buy more parts to go higher :D
Watch kicking the boost up too much. Your rod bolts will hate you for it. Either way you may have tranny issues! :insane:

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Xseries-hauler said:
whats max that you would run? id think no problem with 9 psi if the correct tume was used with it.
I dont see why not. That might be pushing it. Might also be a good idea to throw in some ARP rod studs. Make sure you get nice big intercooler either way you go!!!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Turbo is going to be better, it like taller gears as it's load dependant... needs resistance to go. That centri blower is only top end RPM go.. not good in a big truck. Turbo makes big TQ when the boost comes on, Centi doesn't.

As Jared said... your trans will shit, so get ready.

9psi the stock block should take fine, rod bolts... if you're at higher RPMs I'd worry. If you're south of 6400rpm I'd not worry. It's always a good idea tho', same with better head bolts.

Making it IC boost is a GOOD idea too!

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Xseries-hauler said:
sweet thanks. the hp gains that they showed on the turbo didnt seem as much as with the supercharger but that was only with 6 psi so up it and get more plus the awesome sound of running the turbo instead of the muffler!
The STS most likely won't work with a bagged truck .. the pipes hang too low and you'd probably end up ripping them off

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Xseries-hauler said:
IC boost? intercooled?

Yes, I wouldn't run a nonintercooled boosted vehicle.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Homer J said:
just be aware, the intercooler will rob a couple psi.

Just make sure the pressure drop isn't too bad. My stock WRX IC pulls about 2.5psi... pretty much every aftermarket ones have .75 or LESS pressure drop. So it's not much.

Besides with a cooler intake charge, you're able to run a bit more timing and make more power.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think ill go with the psc1 kit from procharger just cause im gonna go bagged and i dont want to worry about tearing anything out from underneath my truck like a 4000 turbo system.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Xseries-hauler said:
i think ill go with the psc1 kit from procharger just cause im gonna go bagged and i dont want to worry about tearing anything out from underneath my truck like a 4000 turbo system.

Hrm, well why not consider a 402 or 408 stroker? Also Pro Turbo Kits is supposed to have a setup for the Silverados to support about 600hp they told me... may wanna drop them a line also.

To get the most from an ATI, you'll need a good sized stall converter, probably a bigger IC (as I heard they suck over ~9psi), 42lbs/hr injectors, and a killer tune.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts