GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The general thumb rule is not to go over 1.5 hp per cubic inch. Can someone explain how some guys are making bout 570hp with everything stock?

If I wanted to run a sts on my truck to make a good 420 horses, what would be some good precautions?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
The general thumb rule is not to go over 1.5 hp per cubic inch. Can someone explain how some guys are making bout 570hp with everything stock?

If I wanted to run a sts on my truck to make a good 420 horses, what would be some good precautions?
What in the hell are you asking? None of your post made any sense.

·
12 sec lifted truck club
3,536 Posts
I make 681 to the tires with a front mount through an 80e and a transfer case with 35in tires. I do it with a bone stock bottom end. I have pushrods and valve springs, thats it. I have a friend with a gto with a 6.0 with 100k on it out of an escalade that makes 825 to the rears, again stock. Ur fine to make 420, lol.

BTW, This should be in engine and performance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks man. Random Hero, chill out sorry if my post didn't make sense. I was asking that how do guys run big horsepower numbers on stock blocks, if the general thumb rule is to only run 1.5hp's per cubic inch on stock blocks. So if someone is making more than that per cubic inch, how can they do that? That's what I was asking. Sorry if it didn't make sense man.

Oh, and an STS is a turbocharger.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Ok thanks man. Random Hero, chill out sorry if my post didn't make sense. I was asking that how do guys run big horsepower numbers on stock blocks, if the general thumb rule is to only run 1.5hp's per cubic inch on stock blocks. So if someone is making more than that per cubic inch, how can they do that? That's what I was asking. Sorry if it didn't make sense man.
I've never even heard of the 1.5 rule. That may some old hot rodder's saying, but it certainly doesn't apply now a days. Like LiftedLQ9 said and has proven, you can make big horse power on a stock block.

Stock LSx bottom ends are built really well. As long as there's no detonation or knock, your engine should hold up to well over the 500 rwhp mark. If you plan to run forced induction, it's that much more important your tune(specifically your air fuel ratio) is spot on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks man. Yeah it may be an old saying then. Just making sure man, I dont wanna blow up my engine! LOL Hey quick question, how much did those pacesetter headers affect your hp and sound? Thanks

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Ok thanks man. Yeah it may be an old saying then. Just making sure man, I dont wanna blow up my engine! LOL Hey quick question, how much did those pacesetter headers affect your hp and sound? Thanks
They're pretty damn loud. Honestly I like the sound of cats at part idle better, but at idle and at WOT it's pretty nasty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha sweet man! Have you damaged your tranny yet? Cause if I put a turbo a good tranny is a must I assume.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Ha sweet man! Have you damaged your tranny yet? Cause if I put a turbo a good tranny is a must I assume.
Yup I broke my 3-4 clutch pack over Christmas. If you do anything over 400 rwhp I would consider swapping to a 4l80e. It's the cheapest and strongest option without sacrificing much.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How impressive is their base system for a bone stock 5.3 silverado 2006 model? I think my truck has some great power, but I will admit I'd like more and would LOVE the sound of a turbo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With their base system you get 324 horses and 373tq. to the rear wheels, not at the crank. If you put an Intercooler you get 372hp and 453tq. Stock it's 224hp and 252tq to the rears. Plus like you said the added bounus... the turbo sound.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
With their base system you get 324 horses and 373tq. to the rear wheels, not at the crank. If you put an Intercooler you get 372hp and 453tq. Stock it's 224hp and 252tq to the rears. Plus like you said the added bounus... the turbo sound.
Wow those exact numbers for every truck at every boost level?!?!?! Sounds like you have a TON more reading to do.

If you have the money, go for a front mount kit. It's less of a hastle and you'll generally make more power(although argueable). Trick makes a really nice kit that competes in price with the STS kit. IMO, I wouldn't run a turbo without an intercooler setup.

It all depends on what you want to run with your setup on how much power you will make. A cam out of an 01-03 z06 will be a good 50+ rwhp gain on a turbo setup. You'll need bigger injectors(I forget if STS includes them). They'll need to be at least 42#ers which are usually good up to just shy of 500rwhp spraying Meth.

Many of the guys on here will tell you to go with a front mount turbo as well. The STS kit is good, but I don't like the oil pump setup and I've heard of a few horror stories where it failed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks man. I'm really looking into turbocharging now. Info like this will help on my decision. STS claims they have the best hp per pound and that their systems run cooler than the competition. and what's wrong with their oil pump setup? (sts doesn't have much info on their site) 5000 dollars is my budget.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Hey thanks man. I'm really looking into turbocharging now. Info like this will help on my decision. STS claims they have the best hp per pound and that their systems run cooler than the competition. and what's wrong with their oil pump setup? (sts doesn't have much info on their site) 5000 dollars is my budget.
I just don't like the idea of an electronically ran oil pump. Gravity fed oil setups are the most simple and are much less of a hassle.

I've owned an STS setup and sold it so I can start building a front mount setup. I would spend the KBRacing on performancetrucks makes a really nice front mount kit for around $4200 if I remember right. With a few things here and there it can be installed for under $5000. Don't forget you'll need to upgrade your transmission though.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
You'll get some good info here, but go over to performancetrucks.net and you get a boatload full
Try and keep him over here. This site needs way more performance talk

·
pro grade member
2,264 Posts
very true, alotta lift and drop talk not so much power adding talk.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
True...in that case look into a Trick or KBracing kit. STS used to be real big, a lot of people that were running them have now switched to front mounts. The biggest problem with the sts kit is the oil pump like stated. If the oil pump goes out, then you could possibly be saying bye bye to the turbo and engine. Rear mounts also have a lot more piping to deal with, as well as some lag. Front mounts will have higher under hood temps though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts