GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
They're two totally different power-adders. What are you wanting?

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
He wants to go fast hitman x. haha

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
:rofl2:

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
turbo= STS
Screw= Kenne bell

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Screw chargers=great off idle power and torque=great for towing

Turbos=great top end power=great for racing

Both are very streetable. I own an ATI Procharger and a Radix.

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
check the sponsors page, for a bolt on type kit for 5k go with magnacharger, for bolt on type turbo, get sts... when you make up your mind give tbyrne a call he can get you a good price.

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
Screw chargers=great off idle power and torque=great for towing

Turbos=great top end power=great for racing

Both are very streetable. I own an ATI Procharger and a Radix.
Twinscrew is nothing like a roots radix.
The twinscrew will lose a hair on the very bottom but can be spun to 7k without an enourmous power drop like your roots charger.
Twinscrew will eat a roots everyday of the week. IMO of course.:bowtie:

·
In memoriam...
3,860 Posts
Personally, I prefer the broad smooth power delivery of a supercharged set-up. The turbo cars I've driven and rode in are too soft down low and the powerband is too peaky. Even more so with a big ass heavy pickup.

Torque is KING-A !

·
Registered
861 Posts
I paid 3600.00 for my ATI new from rpmoutlet.com about 4 years ago. And you can find good used superchargers for 3-4 grand. If you wnt to go used.

I am thinking of selling the ATI Procharger because with the lift and tires, I need more lower end torque.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Turbo's are alright, and can increase MPG if you do alot of highway driving....problem with turbo's is boost spikes, turbo lag, bigger the turbo higher RPM you gotta go to get it spooled fully, etc.

Front turbo's will kill wanting a "low temp" engine bay because they get fuckin hot,

(STS) butt turbo's seemed great at first....but if you live in a dusty area, your gonna hate cleaning the filter every couple of weeks, there's alotta oil lines running everywhere, an excessive amount of weight hangin back there and im sure if you hit a big enough potholes the hangers would fail and you'd loose your turbo.

Radix is just over-rated, they dont make near close enough to the same amount of power a whipple or Kenne Bell can for $700 more. Don't waste your time with magnacharger. The whipple is a solid unit, but Kenne Bell's new big bore TS is a way better option.

Twin screw's/Roots are both on-tap all the time power, and will do a much better job of increasing your tq/hp lines in a nice line on the dynograph. only cons to a roots/Twin is that you'll lose some MPG, but can makeup for it with a dyno tune and might see a lil extra MPG than before with today's tuners.

Thats how i see it,
Dave

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
and fucking expensive...i don't have 6g's to drop right now.

If you can't shop, I've seen ATI kits sub $1600 that need only fuel parts and the Magnacharger for $2900.

·
Registered
999 Posts
(STS) butt turbo's seemed great at first....but if you live in a dusty area, your gonna hate cleaning the filter every couple of weeks, there's alotta oil lines running everywhere, an excessive amount of weight hangin back there and im sure if you hit a big enough potholes the hangers would fail and you'd loose your turbo.
if you think about it, the STS is actually a decent setup...

all those "oil lines running everywhere" can act like coolers, cooling the oil, same with your charge tube. cooler charge = more power. as for the weight, the weight bias on a truck is 60/40 at best, "all that weight" is mounted right where you want it... low and towards the back...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts