GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
layin big rubber
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i plan to down fire my sub in my 2000ecsb truck

i plan to angle the sub back alittle bit, the angle wood measurements are gonna be 4inches on the front side from the bottom of the box, and on the other side of the angle, im gonna mount the wood 1in from the bottom of the box

do u guys think that will be enuff angle to let the sound out? or i mean to let the air out being pushed by the sub,
so wut im say about the front part of the angle on the box is that its kinda gonna look like a big port
________
1_______1 the angle is gonna start from the top of that, 1in of wood on the bottom part and 3inches on the inside of the hole, its kinda hard to say wut im trying to do
its gonna be 14inches wide by3inches
_________
1 1
1 \ 1
1___\____1
this is kinda like wut i want to do, the back part of the woofer will be sealed
and the front part of the sub will face to the floor and fire into the floor, but the sound that comes out of the front of the sub will go thur a port thats 3x14inches

do u think that port will effect the sound any? if not i will just leave it open on the bottom
________
1 1 kinda like that

i plan to go with 1.3 after displacement sealed with a audiomobile mass 2012
with a bp1200.1 with a red top battery, and a p80.4 on the tops

·
layin big rubber
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i cut the outside of the front panel of the box, but its starting to rain outside, and im working out doors, so i had to stop cutting the wood and
start moving all my mdf inside

·
layin big rubber
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think im just gonna run it straight down

how much room should i give the sub to the floor?

wut i was talking about was the opening for the sub

im gonna have the 2 sides and the back area of the sub lifted off the floor, its gonna have legs on the box
i was talking about front part of the box, where the legs are for the box, if i should run a 3/4 strip of wood on the bottom to connect the legs to each other,
it would make it look like a port, but its not gonna be a port tho

i'll have to post a picture of wut im talking about,
i have my front panel cut out, i just need to cut out the area of the box im talking about still

i'll do that after work today

lates

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
Joakwin said:
how much room should i give the sub to the floor?
As much as you can. The more room the air has to escape, the less distorted the sound will be. It won't be a big difference, but a difference none-the-less.

·
layin big rubber
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kool
thanks

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
After reading through what you're trying to do a few more times, I think I may be starting to understand.

I would not run the piece to connect the legs. I was worried about the legs giving out on mine before I built it, but after sitting on top of my box, I felt pretty confident they would hold :D . By the way, the width of the legs on mine were only like 2" x 2".
sub_box_angle.jpg

Also, when I said before the amount of space between the box and the floor won't make that big a difference in the sound, I take that back. A downfiring box is essentially a ported box. The amount of space that the air between the sub and the floor has to escape would be your port. Too small, and it will sound like crap. Too large, and you lose the "ported" effect, and it basically becomes a regular sealed box. The latter is what you want I think, a regular box, that is downfiring.

The only thing I would warn you about is that if you're doing all the installing and everything yourself, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that the wires to the subs will never fall off. A downfiring box is not your friend in a truck. I've been running on 1 speaker for a couple of months now because I'm too lazy to take my seats out, then pull the box out (which requires 2 people), just so I can get at 1 wire inside the box.
sub_box_bottom.jpg

Also, there are a few articles that say downfiring speakers lose their sound quality faster than a vertically mounted speaker, since gravity plays out over time to cause the sub to sag down a bit. Just a thought.

·
layin big rubber
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the sub box is coming along super slow, havn't had alot of time to work on it like how i wanted to,
i have the front panel cut out of the box, i should be getting out of work early today, so im gonna put some a few hours into the box tonight

·
layin big rubber
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got off of work early, and i put a few hours into the box,
this box is gonna take up almost all the area under the bench seat

im gonna have enuff room to mount my extra battery and ps2 back their
but its gonna be a tight fit but it will work out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts