GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres something I made in sketch-up. its about ~4-4.5 ft^3, and the seat will be raised 2"
the larger side of the box will take up the whole area left behind the seat.

i will probably go with aeroports.

this would be for a 15" dc sub.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Is the angle on the top correct? Looks extreme even for raising the seat.

I would also do aeroports here. My suggestion, due to box layout, to help with impedance rise as much as possible would be to 45 and resin line this box where you can.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the angle on the top correct? Looks extreme even for raising the seat.

I would also do aeroports here. My suggestion, due to box layout, to help with impedance rise as much as possible would be to 45 and resin line this box where you can.
when you say resin, would you use any fiberglass?
i was thinking about 45s too.

ill check out that angle later today.

·
Registered
10,591 Posts
That's a pretty cool idea. What's the mounting depth on that DC sub?

My SX12 barely fit with raising my seat 2 inches. Although I did countersink it an 1 1/2"

edit: The mounting depth on mine is 6 1/2" I had a 1/2" clearance. Keep in mine my whole bottom is fiberglass though

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
when you say resin, would you use any fiberglass?
i was thinking about 45s too.

ill check out that angle later today.
No, I mean after you fabricate the box and build in all the 45s; mix the resin+hardener and pour it in and rotate the box around to coat the inside. This does a couple things:

1. Seals the seams of the box to make sure air only goes where you mean it to go.
2. Rounds all the internal edges for a better interior.
3. Reinforces the wood for less flex.
4. It coats the entire interior surface with a MUCH smoother surface that allows air to flow much easier. This will combat impedance rise (Rise in woofer impedance due to mechanical resistance of air flow against the back of the woofer cone).

This is a good idea with any ported enclosure. This is why in my build thread, you see my new console upside-down.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a pretty cool idea. What's the mounting depth on that DC sub?

My SX12 barely fit with raising my seat 2 inches. Although I did countersink it an 1 1/2"

edit: The mounting depth on mine is 6 1/2" I had a 1/2" clearance. Keep in mine my whole bottom is fiberglass though
i figured since nobody can sit behind me, might as well use that space up. mounting depth is 8.25".... ill see if it can fit if i move the sub forward.

how did you raise your seat? and how did you countersink it, a second baffle?

i thought about fiberglassing the bottom, how did you attach the glass bottom to the mdf sides?

No, I mean after you fabricate the box and build in all the 45s; mix the resin+hardener and pour it in and rotate the box around to coat the inside. This does a couple things:

1. Seals the seams of the box to make sure air only goes where you mean it to go.
2. Rounds all the internal edges for a better interior.
3. Reinforces the wood for less flex.
4. It coats the entire interior surface with a MUCH smoother surface that allows air to flow much easier. This will combat impedance rise (Rise in woofer impedance due to mechanical resistance of air flow against the back of the woofer cone).

This is a good idea with any ported enclosure. This is why in my build thread, you see my new console upside-down.
would you make the 45s out of resin or mdf?

thanks for the help/ideas.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
i figured since nobody can sit behind me, might as well use that space up. mounting depth is 8.25".... ill see if it can fit if i move the sub forward.

how did you raise your seat? and how did you countersink it, a second baffle?

i thought about fiberglassing the bottom, how did you attach the glass bottom to the mdf sides?

would you make the 45s out of resin or mdf?

thanks for the help/ideas.
MDF, but be sure to not go too big as they eat up precious airspace too.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im 99% sure the sub will fit up firing.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm tempted to build a new box now for 2 12's ported

The whole idea of that DC 15 makes me jealous :crazy:

I countersunk it using mdf and then glassed it all together. I just used washers to raise my seat.
i need to put a system in the truck!
im sick of the lack of loudness/bass.

how many watts are you running to your SX?

·
Registered
10,591 Posts
i need to put a system in the truck!
im sick of the lack of loudness/bass.

how many watts are you running to your SX?
~1100rms

I have my gains turned down though and it still shakes a full 23oz can of Arnold Palmer in my cup holder with it turned up half way, which is where I usually listen to it. Keep in mind this is with my stock h/u

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do a blowthrough
i would take out my back seat before i do a blowthrough.

i dont want to kill my resale value, another reason i decided to go static.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts