GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing custom installs for 3 years, and all of the work I have done I try to make a system sound very clean and as stealth as possible,

So here is my idea. I have an extended cab 03. Has anyone, cut the panels off of the rear doors from the cup holder down, built a sealed enclosure to fit there. (you got about 6-8 inches in depth) and build it up cosmetically to butt up to the factory panel? There is space for a 10 or 12 on each door, prob about 1.2 cubic feet, more if you use fiberglass.

Has anyone done this? Just Think, you could fit 4-6 12's and keep your back seat!!! or just use the under seat for amps and what not and then just use the doors? :head:

I am going to go for it, I think it would be really stealth and probably sound really good too! Is there anyone who has done this and it did not work out for any reason, before I go diving into this weekend project? :insane:

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I haven't done it, but i have to say that is a very good idea! Take lots of pics when you get started on it as I'd love to see it done step by step. Are you wanting to build it into the doors so that they still open? Or how exactly are you planning to do it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want the doors to function like normal, Just replace that usless pocket on the door with a a good sounding sub enclosure.
So at shows when you open the rear doors, you can see the subs really well, I will take lots of pictures! I am just about ready to start into this project, only have had the truck for 3 weeks but am getting excited to get the crap bose out and some slick stuff in there.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
How well will the door hold up? How about the door flexing since it is pretty thin? Glass in the door should stay put but you never know.

Real good idea and it would look sweet for sure. You could fiberglass the front and leave the inside of the door as the back of it and would get more air space, but like I said im not sure how that would hold up.

·
Loves yoga pants
2,412 Posts
Take cancellation into consideration when facing subs towards each other. The idea rocks, but you may have to work with the subs phase to get the system to sound really good.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Same as Aberbaseball7 on this one will the door hold up ? or sound like a cars trunk ? mabey some suport on the doors... dyno mat ... bad @$$ idea pic please

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know there will be lots of Dynamat involved. I can't build a baffel and use the door as the enclosure, (don't think it is strong enough) + the doors are not sealed very well. so it will be an enclosure that is bolted and molded to the door.

I was wondering about the cancelation effects of the two subs shooting towards each other, I could have independent time alignment on the subs, but would need two different amps to do that properly. I have an Alpine PXA-H700 EQ that does everything that i could wish for in an eq, so i think I will be able to tune out any Ill effects that might bring to the system.

I am going to hunt the junk yards to find a replacement door panel to work with, don't want to cut up the stockers, so when I find that, ill be golden and ready to build this up! I am excited now!! HEHE,, Stealth box, hit the road!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if i were to angel the subs up or forward or backwards, then that would help get rid of cancelation? I believe that is true, just so there are more walls to bounce off of before the direct waves hit each other?

·
Registered
143 Posts
yeah its been done before - in a fsc actually. Damned if I can find the link to the site. Cant remember if the guy had a cardomain site or it was his personl page. You'll have to cut out a good chunck of steel from the door panel but it can certainly be done. Dont remember what king of volume the guy was able to get either dammit. I remember reading about the install and soemone brought up the issue of cancellation - I said if they are in phase then there would be no cancellation. But others feel differently on that - dont know til you try it :D

Aberbaseball - to do this one would have to make a complete enclosure (mostly fiberglass) that would then fit into the doors cavity. You couldn't just have the sub mounted in the door and have it sound good - no way to seal it up, and yeah the doorskins would flex like crazy if it was done liek this. Even with a seperate solid enclosure mounted in the door, you're still gonna have to deaden the whole thing real good

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think there will be cancelation if they are mirrored on both sides of the car in the same spots., They will build on each other!

·
Registered
143 Posts
because then you WOULD have wave cancellation.

what are you talking about in regards to DVC's???? Coils on the same sub had better not be out of phase :insane:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I pm'ed ya MR Rodit....

I would love to help out a fellow Gm truck owner!

On a side note.. I am extatic today.. i picked up all of my audio equipment to go in my truck!! Ill post a pick soon!! HEHE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts