GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone seen this done? I asked once before a couple years ago, but the bug has got me again and I"m thinking about a single 10 mounted in the rear pass door. I'd think there would be enough room to glass an enclosure in there. Keep the floor clear for stowage.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
i asked my audio guys about this awhile back because i didn't want anything taking up space in the back of my cab, and i really don't want to do a cut through. i asked about doing an 8 or 10 in each door, they gave me acouple of options for subs that don't need alot of airspace, but the cost to do what i wanted was almost double what it'd cost to do the cut through with 4 10s. so i still don't have subs because i can't make up my mind.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
yes it can be done, Ive seen it, no pics

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have done 2 12s one in each extended cab door. I did it for a kid who wanted something different and i did it and he paid.

As far as the box went it was kinda small but but filled it with stuffing and used a 12" sub that required like .75 cuft. the door itself you have to cut a very small amount of sheet metal out of it the rest you cut and bend the door metal at 90 degrees so it acts like a bracket and screw the box to the door(use hushmat or what ever you want to use and spray expansion foam.
When you make the box you have to remember that there is a metal lever/track on the side by the hinges, that you have to "c-notch" into the box.
But thats the easy part then you have to custom make some fiberglass door panels to go over the sub enclosure. and because we used a little bit deeper/bigger 12" sub, we had to narrow the back seat 2 inches, but the whole interior was getting redone/color swap so it really didnt effect much i think the shop that did the seat charged an extra $50 to mod. the seat.

But after we did it, it sound great. his previous system was a full arclyic box with 2 huge 12s from a local shop(chronic) and the 2 12's in the extended cab doors sounded better according to the customer.

So thats why they could be expensive.

And sorry I dont have any pics I did it when i worked for a loser and he wont give up the pics. I wish i had them spent days on it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I had 4 10" in my back doors, 2 on each side.... The box ended up being about 1 cu in each door. But when I did mine I really hollowed the doors out, previously I had ampracks molded in each side so it wasnt that much work. I dont have any finished pics but I am going to start building new enclosures sometime in the next couple of days, a single 10 on each side then a additional enclosure for 2 10" downfiring between the rear bucket seats that I have... I'll post pics as I start going

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've seen 8's and 10's in the rear doors of S-10's, but never a full size. It can be done and made to sound good.
John

·
Registered
298 Posts
oh ya, Chronic HAD a great thing going, I give the owner mad props in his business plans, BUT installs SUCK i have made so much money off just fixing screw up they have done not to mention how many vehicles go there for an alarm and leave there with NO A/C or NO power locks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts