GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my sub out to run at the track. I had installed my nitrous kit and everything went smoothly. The subwoofer worked after everything was installed. Well I go to install the subwoofer a couple days later(today), and all of a sudden my amp and subwoofer are going crazy.

They cycle on and off really fast and loud even when I have the volume at 0. The only way I can get it to stop is by turning my radio completely off.

The sub and amp have been in my truck for 4 years and never had an issue like this.

I'm thinking it's a groud issue, but I havent touched the amp's ground wire in 3 years. I looked at it today and it's still solid.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at a loss for why all of a sudden things are fucking up. Thanks in advance.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Its called motorboating. Either a bad ground or pinched cable

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update, I got everything figured out and it was working fine, but I have another problem. It's now getting super hot and it melted my 80 amp inline fuse next to my battery.

I'm at a bit of a loss at this point, I rechecked my ground and it's solid, I'm clueless at this point what it could be.

Any help is appreciated

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
amp fried. Unhook the power wire from the amp, replace, does it blow? If not, put it back on the amp, does it now blow? if so, amps fried

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
amp fried. Unhook the power wire from the amp, replace, does it blow? If not, put it back on the amp, does it now blow? if so, amps fried
LOL, good to hear. It's just a shitty little audiobahn a8000t. It's given me 4 good years, but either way it's probably time to put it to rest. I'll let you know what I find out.

Also, are the two situations related? I unfortunately know a lot less about audio equipment than I do engines. I can't figure out why the problems suddenly arose.

·
Iron Block LS2
192 Posts
Did you disconnect the ground wire from it grounding location? Where is it grounded at? Could be that it is a dirty ground causing little arcs. If you could, post pix.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you disconnect the ground wire from it grounding location? Where is it grounded at? Could be that it is a dirty ground causing little arcs. If you could, post pix.
Yea I'll post pictures here in a bit. I suppose that's possible what you're asking. I neglected to clean it with any kind of solvent.

I appreciate all the help. It's kind of humbling to be absolutely clueless about something with my truck and have you guys help me out. Usually I'm the one poking fun.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm upping this back up. I ended up replacing the fuse with a lesser amp fuse(went from an 80 to a 50). I hooked everything back up and fired it up and this time the 20 amp fuse on the amp went almost instantly.

Could a burnt up power wire possibly be the culprit? The wire running from the battery to my fuse looks like shit.

I've checked the ground twice now. It's shorter than before, cleaned and I checked for loose strands that might be touching.

The subwoofer wiring is fine as well.

·
2001 GMC Sierra
80 Posts
Did you try what forklift was saying about unhooking the amp then replacing the fuse, see if it blows if not then hook the amp back up and see if it blows then, if it does blow right away then the amp is toast.

Also did you check the power wire all the way from the amp to the battery n see if the wire is exposed or pinched anywhere?

·
Registered
147 Posts
ummm.... if its melting your fuse, you might have a short in your power wire. check the wiring from the fuse to the amp. Make sure it is all secure and no frayed wiring grounding out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts