GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sub box are you guys using? Looking at the downfiring box with (2) 12's. Also, are y'all using the $70+ wiring harness to tap into the stock harness? Or splicing into the stock harness?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
What sub box are you guys using? Looking at the downfiring box with (2) 12's. Also, are y'all using the $70+ wiring harness to tap into the stock harness? Or splicing into the stock harness?
Subthump.com is pretty popular in terms of boxes. Be aware, 12's must be very shallow to fit, AND require a very small box. Most are not appropriately big enough.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subthump.com is pretty popular in terms of boxes. Be aware, 12's must be very shallow to fit, AND require a very small box. Most are not appropriately big enough.
That's what I've been noticing. Most are .95 cu ft per side whereas,12's usually take about 1.25 (kicker anyway). What would one sound like in a box that is less than the rec min air space?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
That's what I've been noticing. Most are .95 cu ft per side whereas,12's usually take about 1.25 (kicker anyway). What would one sound like in a box that is less than the rec min air space?
You risk blowing it, it won't play low, won't be as loud, just sound terrible. A Sundown SA12 needs 1 cu. ft sealed, but it's too deep for under the seat AND you have to consider the sub displacement which is something like 0.18 cu. ft. anyway. So your box would have to be almost 1.2 to be technically correct. I say go with 10's, because after you have displacement of the sub, that same box is right for a 10.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts