GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like to see what other people have run in their NBS crew cabs as far as bass goes. Im thinking of going with either 2 12's or 3-4 10's behind the rear seat. Im going to try to get away with not moving the seat forward if possible. Right now I'm running 1 alpine type S 12 and would like to upgrade from that just to give you a reference. Thanks in advance for the input!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm running 2 x RSD 10's DVC from Phoenix Gold under seat, sounds really good but I'm not pushing them too hard. Awaiting to upgrade to newer PG gear. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Id like to see what other people have run in their NBS crew cabs as far as bass goes. Im thinking of going with either 2 12's or 3-4 10's behind the rear seat. Im going to try to get away with not moving the seat forward if possible. Right now I'm running 1 alpine type S 12 and would like to upgrade from that just to give you a reference. Thanks in advance for the input!
What kind of mounting depth do you have exactly?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right now the 12" i have has a 5" mouting depth. my speakers are actually flush mounted in my box so I had to clearance the back of my box for the magnet a bit. Since the front face of the box is at an angle( like a truck box) a smaller diameter sub would sit lower in the box and could be a slight bit deeper.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
right now the 12" i have has a 5" mouting depth. my speakers are actually flush mounted in my box so I had to clearance the back of my box for the magnet a bit. Since the front face of the box is at an angle( like a truck box) a smaller diameter sub would sit lower in the box and could be a slight bit deeper.
So maybe 5.5 tops. What's your budget like? You wanna get an amp too?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have ran 2 12" shallow mount premier's behind the seat in my crew cab, now i have 2 13.5 jl tw5's, and soon going to three behind the seat without having to move the seat forward.
truck028.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i havent heard the jl's but i bet they are nice. Ya 5.5 would be the max for sure...and the speakers x-max would definitely play a factor as well. Im limited more by the total overall height of the sub plus the throw than the mounting depth alone since im trying to fit in a tight space between the back wall and back of the seat. I'm trying to stay around $400 for my amp and subs. Im also going planning on running a sealed box behind the seat since im limited on volume and im more interested in sq than spl...although i do want it to hit harder than my 1 12'' i have right now. What are your suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
i havent heard the jl's but i bet they are nice. Ya 5.5 would be the max for sure...and the speakers x-max would definitely play a factor as well. Im limited more by the total overall height of the sub plus the throw than the mounting depth alone since im trying to fit in a tight space between the back wall and back of the seat. I'm trying to stay around $400 for my amp and subs. Im also going planning on running a sealed box behind the seat since im limited on volume and im more interested in sq than spl...although i do want it to hit harder than my 1 12'' i have right now. What are your suggestions?
Honestly, $400 won't get ya far. A lot of $100 subs will fit in that just because they aren't that big, which is good because $200 for an amp won't get you much power.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so what kind of budget would I be looking at to get me something decent that fits? and how much power? I have a 160A suburban alternator and i dont want to have to upgrade past that...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just for reference i was thinking either 2 of the MM1240 polk subs ($100 each) or 3 rex 10's(50$ each) powered by an mb quart mono amp($175). I was also considering running 4 8's since that would help in the depth department..im just not sure how well they would hit the low frequencies....

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Kicker CVT 12's would fit, I'm guessing you'll have $150 a piece in those. Then you're looking at an 800-1000 watt amp. Smallest amp I have is a 1200 for $395, you'll probably have some other options around $300-$350 closer to your power range. You have wiring on top of that also, and box. All of that together you'll have $700-750 total.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
just for reference i was thinking either 2 of the MM1240 polk subs ($100 each) or 3 rex 10's(50$ each) powered by an mb quart mono amp($175). I was also considering running 4 8's since that would help in the depth department..im just not sure how well they would hit the low frequencies....
Remember, you get what you pay for. A $50 sub is gonna sound like a $50 sub. How much power can you realistically have for $175? Remember to look at RMS power, not peak.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Save up buddy and get something badass. Don't get something cheap you can afford now. Save up and buy something that will drop panties on the spot my friend.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Save up buddy and get something badass. Don't get something cheap you can afford now. Save up and buy something that will drop panties on the spot my friend.
Haha well put... So considering my space requirements what would be my best bet if I upped my budget? I could always start with one sub and an amp with room to grow I suppose..

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Haha well put... So considering my space requirements what would be my best bet if I upped my budget? I could always start with one sub and an amp with room to grow I suppose..
3 jl 13.5 tw5's

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Those are some badass subs and there is no denying that. I don't like jl but as far as shallowounts go they're great. I've heard the Memphis shallows are better though and they're much cheaper

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not looking for crazy amounts of bass but I'd like more than what my 1 12" gives me now and the sound quality of my current sub isn't too great either... In my new setup I would definitely prefer sound quality over quantity. I drive my truck every day so I don't need anything too wild.

Basically I need a new 4 channel amp as well as a mono amp and subs. I want to keep all that under$750. My truck is already wired so my only extra expenses would be box materials. I've heard some good things about the jbl gto804's... And I know that 4 of those would fit rather easy behind my seat since they are fairly shallow. I'm pretty sure the sound quality would be there I've just never heard a vehicle with 8's before and how they respond.

Anyways that's what I've got going on right now... I'm going to work on putting in some sound deadener in the meantime so that should keep me busy with something while I make a decision lol. Thanks again for the help...

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
3 jl 13.5 tw5's
1 sub blows his whole budget.

Those are some badass subs and there is no denying that. I don't like jl but as far as shallowounts go they're great. I've heard the Memphis shallows are better though and they're much cheaper
Know what's twice as good for half the price as the JL's? Stereo Integrity BM12's. I'm not kidding, they seriously are twice as good. If everybody rockin the TW5 boner heard one, they'd punch themselves in the face for buying the JL's.

I'm not looking for crazy amounts of bass but I'd like more than what my 1 12" gives me now and the sound quality of my current sub isn't too great either... In my new setup I would definitely prefer sound quality over quantity. I drive my truck every day so I don't need anything too wild.

Basically I need a new 4 channel amp as well as a mono amp and subs. I want to keep all that under$750. My truck is already wired so my only extra expenses would be box materials. I've heard some good things about the jbl gto804's... And I know that 4 of those would fit rather easy behind my seat since they are fairly shallow. I'm pretty sure the sound quality would be there I've just never heard a vehicle with 8's before and how they respond.

Anyways that's what I've got going on right now... I'm going to work on putting in some sound deadener in the meantime so that should keep me busy with something while I make a decision lol. Thanks again for the help...
How about a pair of Sundown E8v2's ported, on an SAX-125.2, and a SAX-100.4? That would be $813, but you'd have a much better setup with some quality equipment. Those E8v2's will get low if you tune them that way, and don't require a huge box either. All that stuff has a 2 year warranty also, if that matters to you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts