GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got quoted $325 to have headliner in my extended cab wrap in suede is that a good price or is that kinda high I thought around $225-$250 would do it so do you guys think its a fair price?? thanks Eric

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
MrRodIt said:
I got quoted $325 to have headliner in my extended cab wrap in suede is that a good price or is that kinda high I thought around $225-$250 would do it so do you guys think its a fair price?? thanks Eric
Well I'm planning that for my 2 door tahoe. Thing is, I don't want to pay those crazy prices, most of which I'm sure are for labor. If you can track down a piece of good quality suede that would work, I'd say try it yourself. I'm doing as much as possible myself, labor costs are such a waste...and I've learned I'm capible of a lot more than I thought!! HAHA

·
Registered
58 Posts
that sounds kind of high..thedj i have been looking around here for some good quality sueude? where in nor cal are ya?

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
I live in Roseville, work in Sacramento. Got family near San Jose though, all over the bay area really, haha. There's a custom upholstery shop I've got to look into about 5 min away. There's numerous others around too....I figure if I'm gonna try this myself, I better do my research to get the best price! Haha. But from what I've heard, you definatly want to stay away from nomal fabric stores to get suede, especially for auto upholstery, since the quality and duribility just isn't up to par. Stick with buying it from an auto upholstery shop if you want to use it yourself. Also, there's specific glues you want to use as well. Might as well do it right the first time!! I hope!! HAHA :anitoof:

·
Registered
61 Posts
gotta get Alcantara Ultrasuede, its the only Automotive Grade Ultrasuede WITH a backing.... it is used in many BMW's, Mercede's and a few other cars.

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
as far as i know....alcantara is genuine suede not ultrasuede since ultrasuede is synthetic...correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought that Alcantara is a microfiber just like Ultrasuede myself...

which is why it is so tough and resistant to stain

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you're around here in the Bay I'd suggest going to places in Richmond. Prices for things are much cheaper, I got quoted $190-200 a while ago. As soon as I get my truck back I'm going to take it there and let you guys know. If I can remember the name of the business. LOL

They do quality work too, I saw a S500 that they had in the shop. It had 2 JL W6V2 in the trunk and a bunch of TVs inside the Benz and the headliner was in suede. Looked sicc, I wonder what the young businessman was into. lol

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just got my trucc back, and my system is about to go back in. So I will get the name of the shop this week and post it for you Bay Area heads.

·
Registered
272 Posts
ok here are the pics of the truck headliner in suede. please forgive all the handprints, my girlfriend likes to mess with it and the shiny look is from the camera's flash. it has no wrinkles or bumps what-so-ever. i even took it by the shop where i had my seats done and the owner offered me a job so i guess that means i did a damn good job on it! hehe :bowtie:

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
btw, i did all this in one night. i took the headliner out and did it out in an area that was ok to get that spray glue on because once its on, its not coming off.

stuff you will need: suede, heavy duty spray glue (3M 90 Hi-Strength Spray Adhesive is what i used). be sure to measure out how much suede you will need too. it can be kinda expensive depending on the type you get. i bought 2.5 yards for my extended cab and had a little bit left over.

i went to a fabric place and picked up some suede and a little bit of actual headliner just to test it out. i wasnt sure if i had to remove the original headliner from the ceiling mold or what and i didnt want to mess up mine if i did it wrong. the glue worked perfectly on mine. i sprayed it over my existing headliner because i was told that if i removed the headliner from the mold that the glue used underneath it would cause bumps and wrinkles when i put the suede on. that also gave it that plush feel.

i worked from front to back because that was lengthwise for me (DO NOT work widthwise, the glue dries too fast). if you have a reg cab work in the way that has the shortest width, whether it be from front to back or side to side i dont know.

spray only a little at a time and work that down on the headliner, then move on. dont be afraid to stretch the material, just realize that if you do, you might pull something loose from and area that you already glued down or it might wrinkle or create a bubble, but you should have many problems with that.

also, i did something that GM didnt do with their headliners. if you look at your headliner you will see that the material isnt folded over the sides and edges. it stops at the edge of the mold. i, however, folded mine over the edges because it would have been a pain in the butt to try and cut out an exact shape of the headliner and not have something go wrong. just a suggestion.

dont rush, work slowly and watch how you are working. be sure to look back to see that you didnt mess up an previously glued down suede by pulling too hard or whatever. i sprayed the glue well, held the suede in one hand, and used the side of my other hand to flow over the laid area just to smooth it out before proceeding on to the next gluing area. be sure to cover the area in glue before laying down the suede. it'll tell you on the spray can how to use it. no worries.

if you have any other questions just holla. good luck!

·
Registered
272 Posts
im sorry, i mean to say that you SHOULDNT have many problems with pulling the material and creating bubbles or wrinkles...my bad

1 - 20 of 28 Posts