GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine called me up around 10am. He wasn't doing anything, so we went to the JoAnne Fabrics and picked up some suede to do my doors. When we got back to the house, figured while we were taken crap apart, lets do the headliner too. Back up to JoAnnes and then to Lowe's to pick up Super 90 adhesive. Used 2 1/2 large cans. took 4 hours to do the headliner... Doors will get done later :crazy:

Getting the headliner out was a PITA. had to take out my passenger rear seat, along with bending it almost in half. But it came out and went back in without any problems. All the wires are glued to the headliner, so I took them off and taped them to the roof...

I painted all the upper pieces (console, light and 2 push pins) with the SEM Granite paint, and looks just like factory.

I will be waiting a few days and then doing my visors with the help of this thread http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145253

Still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the handle over the front passengers head....

No how-to or progress pics, and sorry for the crappy pics, but all I had near me was my iPhone.

Paint-Glue.jpg

All out

OutFront.jpg

OutRear.jpg

Out3.jpg

Done and installed

DoneFront.jpg

DoneRear.jpg

Done3.jpg

·
Gm truck junkie
3,657 Posts
Looks good, how do you like that paint?
I used the same stuff and I have a problem with it scraping off easy.

·
TROLL REVOLT of 2012
2,477 Posts
came out nice.........

why not orange? :)

·
Administrator
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good, how do you like that paint?
I used the same stuff and I have a problem with it scraping off easy.
I know what you mean. I scratched it a little and had to repaint it. We'll see how it holds out in a few weeks/months.

came out nice.........

why not orange? :)
The friend I had helping me wanted to do the basketball material. It was a close match to the orange and felt JUST LIKE a basketball... :biggrin:

I'm actually keeping the entire interior black. Once I do the doors, I have a guy that's going to do my seat inserts suede as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
wow, nice job. was that real suede or faux suede and was it expensive? Cuz, that new suede smell must be so nice in there. lol.

·
Administrator
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, nice job. was that real suede or faux suede and was it expensive? Cuz, that new suede smell must be so nice in there. lol.
It's faux. The real stuff is stupid expensive and if you search the forums, this holds up just fine.

It was $22sq ft at JoAnnes. Although they had it 50% off. I ended up getting 5 yards. 2 yards for the four doors, and 3 yards for the headliner. You can probably do it in 2 yards, but it was REAL close. 2 1/2 would be fine as well. I made sure I had plenty as well as some extra.

·
'10 AVY Z71
340 Posts
How hard was it getting that liner out? Looks good man, Ilike it.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
the headliner is a bitch... but so worth it!

came out sweet man!

and did you guys scuff the plastic before you sprayed the dye? if not, that could be the reason its not holding up.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
looks sweet i cant wait to do mine in the 94

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
i know i just need to buy fabric and the retainers that hold it in so i can cover over them when i do it

·
Administrator
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How hard was it getting that liner out?
I can't even begin to tell you how much of a pain in the ass it is... Took about 15 minutes of trying it different ways, then stopping and thinking about it so we didn't bust stuff, and then trying again. There's hard foam on the back to make it unbendable, but I had to brake it in the rear to fold it enough to get it out the rear, passenger side door.

and did you guys scuff the plastic before you sprayed the dye? if not, that could be the reason its not holding up.
Didn't think of that... I washed it real good so there was no residue (armor-all, oil, etc) on it. If it messes up, this will be the thing to try. Only takes 30 seconds to get those pieces out!!

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
I can't even begin to tell you how much of a pain in the ass it is... Took about 15 minutes of trying it different ways, then stopping and thinking about it so we didn't bust stuff, and then trying again. There's hard foam on the back to make it unbendable, but I had to brake it in the rear to fold it enough to get it out the rear, passenger side door.

Didn't think of that... I washed it real good so there was no residue (armor-all, oil, etc) on it. If it messes up, this will be the thing to try. Only takes 30 seconds to get those pieces out!!

just use a red scuffing pad and not sandpaper.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
NIce. I have to redo mine. The glue i used you are supposed to wait 24 hours after using it so it sets up good. And we installed up 2 hours later. So the gravity pulled some parts down.

·
Lifted 2wd
389 Posts
Please come do mine. I'm afraid to try and take it out without removing the back window. Looks good.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
looks great dude! Has anyone taken the Headliner out of a NNBS yet? I want to suede my interior too.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts