GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at boosting the power of my truck and was wondering how a supercharger would do? also where does a supercharger make power in the rpm range does it do it off ideal or do i have to wait? what are some good brands for the 5.3 but i would like it to have a intercooler? how durable is a intercooler as you can see from my sig this truck does see offroad use. also what will have to be done to the tranny to keep it from giving up the ghost. and finally if i was to do supercharger, headers, duals with bullets and x, custom tune,and intake could i see around 450hp.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
black4x4 said:
I have been looking at boosting the power of my truck and was wondering how a supercharger would do? also where does a supercharger make power in the rpm range does it do it off ideal or do i have to wait? what are some good brands for the 5.3 but i would like it to have a intercooler? how durable is a intercooler as you can see from my sig this truck does see offroad use. also what will have to be done to the tranny to keep it from giving up the ghost. and finally if i was to do supercharger, headers, duals with bullets and x, custom tune,and intake could i see around 450hp.
well, first off, if you want a intercooler, i would stay away from roots type blower, but thats just me. however the roots type like a radix or whipple make power instantly when the gas pedal is depressed. with the centrifugal, its not instant but boost is built rather quickly. As long as your intercooler doesnt get packed with mud or banged up, its definatly a good idea for one.

The supercharger will not prolong the life of your tranny one bit. Its going to see lots more heat, especially if you get a stall. I would reccoment a shift kit to firm up the shifts, a BIG tranny cooler, different servos at the least. Its not going to last forever if you drive it like I do.

·
Supercharge Everything!!!
55 Posts
I would recommend a roots style s/c to anyone with a big heavy 4x4 truck, like Dan says you get instant boost which means instant HP and torque. It depends on how much boost you plan on running but if you stay below 8psi because of their better efficiency you will not need an intercooler on a roots type s/c. I currently have a Whipple s/c on my 6.0L running 7lbs of boost and estimated power is 450hp and 600ft-lbs of torque. I can smoke my 35's all day if I want but more importantly I tow a 15,000lb toy hauler trailer with ease. Check out these sites they have good info...

Whipple

Superchargers for less.com

You will definately need to plan some upgrades to you stock 4L60 tranny to handle the extra power. Make sure you do your research first and find the kit that best fits your needs. I have had great luck with the Whipple kit, is was easy to install, very complete, and their customer service has been great even helping me upgrade the kit as I continue to upgrade the truck.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the process of dropping some coin on my application. The fact that the 2017 silverado weighs about 6400lbs, I'll start mine at 1k and go up? A lot of big changes will have to happen to make this work properly..suspension, brakes, tires, etc. suggestions please?? All of this in a 5.3L. Not sure if a twin-turbo setup would be best or a new procharger? In either case, when all finished it'll be fun to drive!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would suggest starting with what you are trying to accomplish, and what kind of budget you have to do it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For that kind of recommendation (which I cant help with), you likely would also need to post where you are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts