GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have good tread life on my current tires but I wanna plan out my next set (and it will not be the Parnelli Jones again...too expensive!). The truck is my daily driver and the only time it sees the dirt is every other weekend or so. Ive narrowed it down to the Super Swamper STS Radials and the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires. Tire size will be 35x12.50R16. I need some info about them (tread wear life, balance and alignment, how they perform on/offroad and rainy conditions, etc). Thanks.

gy_wrangler_mtr.jpg

MotoHead

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a set of goodyears now and they suck. They ride like crap, and I have to use an ass of weights to get them to balance. I think I may have got a faulty set, but my next ones will definetly be BFG's.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Personally I dont like the STS, they arnt a bad tire at all, I just really dont like the look of them. I would recomend the BFG MTs or X-Terrains. I have heard mixed opinions on the MTRs people eitehr hate them or love them.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I ran the 305 MT/R and loved them, but they will not last as long as the STS... But if you worry about tread wear then the STS is the way to go. I sold my set to 1BadHD and he bought a new spare and couldn t tell a difference, and mine had around 4K on them, not that 4K is alot but still gives you an Idea. My 36's didnt ride perfect but the rode good for a 36. If you want an agressive look still the BFG mud terrains is also a good tire as the MT/R... Just depends on which you like best, and tread life is a big diff between the sts and the others...

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
get BFG muds over the goodyear IMO. nicer looking and every single review rates them as better performing and quieter on highway.

the MT/R beats the bfg in rocks.........lol big deal

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
and the pro comp mud terrians. they look really good for a nice price.

DEFINATLY check into buckshot radial muds. they are CHEAP and they last a LONG time on the road

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many of you mention the BFG M/Ts but remember the truck is my daily driver and I doubt those BFG M/Ts will last. Thats the main reason Im lookin into the STS tires. They may not be the best looking but they do look like a longer lasting tire on the road over the others.

MotoHead

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
the BFG mt will last about as long as that MT/r from goodyear.

dont rule out the BFG A/t then. many people get 45-50k outta those

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
If your going to get an AT my vote goes to the BFGs, last forever (longer than the STS I bet) and look better IMO. I had a set and loved them, after 12k miles they looked new.

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinkin about the BFG A/Ts but it just doenst look like they would do the job on those weekends I go to the desert.

MotoHead

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
If your going to get an AT my vote goes to the BFGs, last forever (longer than the STS I bet) and look better IMO. I.
i agree they look alot better in the 35x12 size. 35x12 STS look kinda funky i think.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have 12k on my MTR's now with virtually no wear. They look great! I love mine they ride great, took very lil weight to balance and do well offroad. I have heard alot of ppl say they wear really fast but when i ask how they rotated them they say rarely or never. I know a few ppl that have gotten over 50k on MTR's. Saying the BFG beats the MTR in every comparison isnt true. Peterson's did a tire test a year ago and the MTR dominated finishing 3rd only to the SSR and Bogger. it beat out the TSL even! this was in mud. However, in the next test they didnt fair as well as the BFG KM. I believe this is because on the smaller sizes(the test in which the bfg beat the mtr) the lugs are much closer together. there is a noticeable difference between when you go up to 33-35s. The lugs are bigger/farther apart and they do very well offroad.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
Eisenfaust said:
. Saying the BFG beats the MTR in every comparison isnt true. Peterson's did a tire test a year ago and the MTR dominated finishing 3rd only to the SSR and Bogger. it . However, in the next test they didnt fair as well as the BFG KM. I believe this is because on the smaller sizes(the test in which the bfg beat the mtr) the lugs are much closer together. there is a noticeable difference between when you go up to 33-35s. The lugs are bigger/farther apart and they do very well offroad.
yeah i was refering to the most recent one with the KM. they rated the KM over xterrains as well! i believe their test size was a 33x12

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
MotoHead said:
I was thinkin about the BFG A/Ts but it just doenst look like they would do the job on those weekends I go to the desert.

MotoHead
they should be able to do anything the M/T can do except mud/beach sand

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
If mileage is a concern, BFG AT's are the way to go. I've got 25k on mine right now, and the tread is still REALLY deep. They are wearing great. I wouldnt be surprised if I could get 45-50k out of them, maybe even a little more. I probably will never know, though, since I'll probably replace them before then (I like change, from time to time). :crazy:

Jeff said:
they should be able to do anything the M/T can do except mud/beach sand
Actually, I've always heard that the AT does better than the MT in sand. No firsthand experience though, seeing as I 300+ miles from the nearest beach and never go down that way.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Those MTR look really nice but I hear they wear bad. Just depends on what kinda truck you have too. Eisnefest's truck doesn't weight a whole lot so he will prolly get a lot of miles out of them, but if you have HD or a ex cab you might not have such good luck.
Those BFG A/T's if treated right will last a good while, I have hear good things of the MT's too.
I had some LTX A/T's I ran for about 65K and they still had some good tread left. But those only come in 265's.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Moto---

I've been rolling some 315/75/16 MTR's for about 10 months/20K miles and still have people ask me about my "new" tires. I recommend them 100%. All four static road-force balanced with less than 2 oz./tire. There the only reason I'm not making my truck higher, because I can't get em in a bigger size.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
You can get them in a bigger size... 37-12.50-17 :head:

MT/R or BFG MT would will be about the same and I bet the BFG will last longer. But sounds like you want a good AT so go with the sts, Hulk took his in the mud and didnt seem like he had any problems at all...

·
Registered
413 Posts
i've got the bfg mt's and i love them. they aren't too loud, the treadwear isn't too bad, and they charge in the mud. for some reason goodyear and ford go hand in hand in my head. bfg is more of a gm thing, they've got more balls. pro comp mt's and x-terrain's are great tires too. i'm gonna recommend the pro comp x-terrain's because the tread is designed to minimize treadwear. i've also heard they clear mud out of the treads pretty well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Aberbaseball7 said:
You can get them in a bigger size... 37-12.50-17 :head:
1: not available till we're done killin Iraqi's :guns:
2: Need new wheels to run em :banghead:

Aber- How'd you like the Maxx's? I really want to get something in chrome to replace my polished aluminum, but scared they're gonna look blingy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts