GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...im sure this has been asked before, if so i am sorry.

do you have to change the internals if you put on a "Procharger, Radix, Whipple" other than a cam, injectors, and MAYBE a bigger throttle body....i want to put pacesetter LT, with ORY-pipe into 2 1/2 duals with a Narrow H-pipe into the passenger side exit.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
You do not have to change the internals, not even the cam with any of the above. You will not be able to turn up the boost too high with stock internals though. The magnacharger is going to be your best bet with a stock motor. the boost is not able to turned very high because it becomes to inefficient. Its also the most complete kit you can buy.

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hum....but i'd still be able to swap the cam and run headers and such forth right?

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not looking for much...just around 400 rwhp something to get me a 14 second or so....and stomp some a$$ on the street.

only thing is...i dont want to spray...i've seen what happens to the rings.

would it be better to get a Custom Tune or leave my Hypertech Programmer in?

thanks

·
As seen on TV!
863 Posts
Get rid of the hypertech!!! Defintely get a custom tune.

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
um...hypertech gives you the 87-93 choice, gears, tire height, aftermarket shift kit, thermo, shift points, firmness, and some other crap...

stock truck with a cold air intake, and exhaust ran a 16.2
programmer w/ mud tires, ran a 16.0 250.00 down the drain.

next thing i get is some actual tires, and Pacesetter Headers and ORY-pipe.

then i'll go get a cam, roller rockers, new push rods, and a 3000 stall.

then by june i'll have my 3:73 posi...with some racing slicks

then by october i want to get my tranny built to hold up to 700RWHP and put a supercharger
and i'm done.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
im not looking for much...just around 400 rwhp something to get me a 14 second or so....and stomp some a$$ on the street.

only thing is...i dont want to spray...i've seen what happens to the rings.

would it be better to get a Custom Tune or leave my Hypertech Programmer in?

thanks

Shit, you can make 400rw with a 5.7 or 6.0 swap for a TON less than the $5k that blower is up front (then another $3k for a built trans with stall).

You can runs high 12s/low 13s with a cam'd 5.3

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
I think you really need to do more reading on what you want.... bottom line.

you have put up more than one thread asking about blowers if I'm not mistaken... there's better ways to spend your money if you want to go faster IMO... and as for spray... I have almost 110K on my 5.3 and have been dumping a 150 wet shot on it at will and it still doesnt use a drop of oil.... and still gets 21mpg on the hwy... even with 4.10's... do some research.

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i had a 97 with a 5.7L wrecked it, i know nothing about the newer trucks...so i asked about the supercharger, then the turbos, but everyone says the same thing....do this and that....so either way i can get more out of a cam, gears, headers, port and polish, stall, and tranny. i see all these guys running 14s and lower, when you look at their trucks it seems stock except for a cam, headers, and gears. like a guy last night ran 15s with a newer truck than mine, and he had didnt have anything more than i had...i'm on mud tires...which makes me mad now..but i needed them....so i'll just wait a lil while and then go spend money on my cam/headers/gears/posi/sell my programmer and go get a custom tune...because i keep hearing all this stuff about it..and instead, i bought my programmer..

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
I'd look into that "if you had it to do again" thread... that should tell you some good places to start...

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
well man, when we're on the subject of NBS trucks, and we say 5.7 we mean an LS1 (vette, f-body) not the old vortec 5.7L 350 in the 88-98 trucks.

You can find a complete LS1 for around $1500 on ebay...may even get the wiring harness and ECM, so you could resell those and get some money back.

Dave

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well man, when we're on the subject of NBS trucks, and we say 5.7 we mean an LS1 (vette, f-body) not the old vortec 5.7L 350 in the 88-98 trucks.

You can find a complete LS1 for around $1500 on ebay...may even get the wiring harness and ECM, so you could resell those and get some money back.

Dave
ah ha.....sorry....

i dont want to do an engine swap...i'm lazy...and besides....i'm happy with a 5.3 my truck still cuts out...dont know what speed though..because i can only see 100...if i was to get a tune would i cut out at all?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
cuts off around 98mph....with a nelson, W4M, or westers tune you can have them delete the speed limiter, increae line pressure, shift points, etc....but its a whole nother level above a you can buy it off the shelf programmer.

Dave

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I would go with a decent cam/stall and full bolt ons. My roomates truck is a 99 ECSB 5.3L - 226/226 .576/.576 114lsa cam, Yank PT3200 Stall, Pacesetter LT/ORY, cutout, Locker, and a NX wet kit. It runs mid 13s at 99mph all day long on MOTOR, havnt sprayed it at the track yet.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
I would go with a decent cam/stall and full bolt ons. My roomates truck is a 99 ECSB 5.3L - 226/226 .576/.576 114lsa cam, Yank PT3200 Stall, Pacesetter LT/ORY, cutout, Locker, and a NX wet kit. It runs mid 13s at 99mph all day long on MOTOR, havnt sprayed it at the track yet.
Amen.... :worship: :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
how is daily driveability (strain on suspension/tranny/engine, gas mileage, etc) when you have all that stuff?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
how is daily driveability (strain on suspension/tranny/engine, gas mileage, etc) when you have all that stuff?
Not bad at all. Most of these guys daily drive their trucks too. Hell I talked to Cody(1slow01z71), when he gets his truck back together, he will have a 418 engine, STS turbo, and nitrous. He said he might even daily drive it.

I'm running a cam in my truck and I daily drive the shit out of it. As long as you have a good tune in your truck(which means no programmer/chip/handheld) there will be no driveability issues.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Hopefully if I EVER install my parts, lol, I'll get my brick to run some really low 14s or a high 13 if I'm lucky.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts