GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase an 02 Chevy Z71 and I need help on deciding what lift to get for it. I am looking for about 9" and I can see most people will do a 6" suspension with a 3" body lift. Is this the best way to go? I have been looking around and have seen 9"+ suspension lifts from CST, Whiplash, etc... Has anybody used this big of suspension lift only? I don't want to purchase a poor lift that will give me problems. I was possibly considering an RCD sus. lift with a 3"body. I don't care much for seeing the frame on a body lift but will if that is the best option.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
the most important thing to ask is what size of a tire do you want???

i agree with sevenfold, look at full throttle and cognito. i prefer FT just because of the rear kit using springs instead of hanger drops.

the body lift install will cost alot of money. the body lift will cost you 250, but the labor for install will be around 500.

So look at an RCD plus body installed, about 2500 dollars. for that money you could just buy a 10 inch full throttle and get it installed for 300-400 bux and not have to run a body lift :head:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
You might as well pay a lil more for a 9-10" kit and pay a few hundred on installation...even if u do go with a 6" kit and 3" BL and put the BL on yourself, you might end up payin a lil less than than a 9" kit installed. All suspenion looks so much better IMO than a smaller kit with a BL thrown on top.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Definatly go all suspension. As mentioned Full Throttle and Cognito both make 9.5"(FT) and a 10"(cognito) kit. I would stay away from whiplash, I have heard more bad about them than good. You might also want to look into 3rd coast suspension, its modeled after the FT lift with some additional bracing etc..

Check out the lift specs and applications tech article, it has all kinds of info comparing the lifts in an easy to understand table, might help you make up your mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all. As far as the location question I live in Irvine,CA. I wouldn't be installing it myself. I would definitely have it done. Any recommendations on where I should get it done if I go with Cognito,Full Throttle, or 3rd coast? I would like to get all suspension. Sorry for my lack of knowledge of lifts but what would everyone recommend to go with the lift (that doesn't already come with it)ie. braces,leafs, what are kicker braces? Springs are preferred over blocks right? I plan on putting probably 36" tires. I will also probably have different gears put in. Any recommendations on a gear ratio and a good place to have it done? I do have a ski boat so I want to be able to pull that with no problem. Sorry for all the questions and I am sure I will have more.
Thanks again!

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
kicker braces/compression struts go from the lift sub frame to your tranny crossmember to help increase the strength from a head on colision (smashing it on the ground etc...) Leafs will ride rougher but you wont get axle wrap, the FT kit uses leafs as well as the 3rd coast kit. The cognito has the option of stock leafs with drop hangers (better ride) or all leafs (less chance of axle wrap). Personally I would choose leafs. Also for gearing I would go with 4.56 if you plan on running 36s.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
outlaw is a good one from what i hear.

i got my lift on my last truck done at the 4 wheel parts in irvine. they did a fine good job on everything. i had gears done too, their gear guy was pretty good. his name is AJ if he is still there.

i know 4wp will not do an FT. i dont think outlaw does them, but they might have changed since i was shopping.

email or call FT and ask them where an installer is around here. i think FT is the best way to go. the lift springs will allow you to handle the boat easy :anitoof:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts