GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it true that after getting a suspension lift installed all will be good for about a year and a half until stuff starts to break and u have to put money into like no other

·
4,725 Posts
yea man its hella true, after a year and a half you'll be spending money on replacing windows, seats, center console, all that stuff goes bad after a lift.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Its usually not the lift itself that causes problems, its the larger tires and wheels putting stress on the drivetrain/suspension/steering components.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
lol never heard that before.. Get that info from someone trying to talk you out of it (ie. Dad, Grandfather etc..?)

Routine maintenance.
Things will wear a little faster than stock.

But a year and a half.. well no. Technically if your parts are worn already you might start breaking stuff and have to start putting money into it like not other a month after the lift.

But if you take care of it, use a good quality name brand kit. Put it on correctly. Keep up with routine maintenance (tierods wheel bearings, pitman idler arm, etc..)
then you can go a long time with 0 problems.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
:word: pops tried to give me that trip when I told him I was lifting mine. Small problems can lead to bigger ones, just depends how well you keep up your truck..

·
Registered
21 Posts
there are a few problems that you will more than likely run into.
-hub assemblies- the bearing are wear out quick and the pieces of shit arent rebuildable. i have replaced three
-rack and pinion- the larger tirs cause excessive stress on this thing. it starts to leak and the fucker isnt cheap. im on my third one now.
-rear end- the stock g80 locker is another weak point. up grade to a nice posi/locker and a bigger set of gears then your cool.
-4l60e- this tranny is a huge p.o.s. add a bigger trans cooler, vette servo, trans-go shift kit and a trans temp gauge. heatg kills these things.
since doing an offroad suspension setup and my truck i have replaced all of these components at least once. beef up your drive train and give it hell.

·
Registered
424 Posts
30+K miles after lift and tires, not a dime spent on repairs yet! knock on wood. Routine maintenance goes a long ways with ifs trucks. But I will say this, if you offroad your truck, be prepaired to throw some money at it. The term "you gotta pay to play" applys greatly when offroading your truck as does anything when its abused. Just nature of the beast IMO.

·
4,725 Posts
hey belmont didnt you have the same problems with a lift as me? Man I swear after I put the lift on my damn rear seat didn't want to fold down correctly, but I got a new overhead console and that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
424 Posts
hey belmont didnt you have the same problems with a lift as me? Man I swear after I put the lift on my damn rear seat didn't want to fold down correctly, but I got a new overhead console and that fixed the problem.
you two guys are terrible! you've got this kid scared to lift his truck and join us in our ever lasting search for more altitude!!!

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Build it right and you will be good. All of the problems I have had on my truck were either self inflicted or factory bs. Fucking factory steering shaft rattle, the o so common Service 4wd message. Fucking GM

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
take care of it and you'll be good, the law and belmont are just messin with ya.
If you replace worn parts when you are putting the lift on you should be good for a long time as long as you aren't abusing it.

If you have certain worn parts the lift will make it more noticeable, but it's nothing that wasn't bad before you put the lift on, so the lift isn't at fault.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
watch out for that muffler bearing, that thing will go out after 2,146 miles of being lifted. Its PN123456789 at the dealer.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
im on my third rear seat right now.. and i dont even know how much longer this one will last, to be honest with you

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I always carried an extra bag of zipties and two rolls of duct tape in my truck... that way is stuff broke or fell off, I could fix it on the fly.

It came in handy when my bed flew off after I hit a speed bump in Macy's parking lot. I was able to limp home and weld it back, the right way.

My glovebox never really worked right after I lifted it either, or my sun visors. I think the lift twisted the whole truck around, and nothing fit right. Door jams, seat belts, cigarette lighters, sun visors, glovebox, etc.

The dual shocks made it really bouncy too.... the radio would always shut off when I offroaded the truck.

·
Registered
617 Posts
yes... it's true, my paint started falling off in sheets days after my lift, then about 2 months after, both my front tires flew off goin 55mph because all the front suspension fell off!:insane: :flame:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok guys i need a little help i have a 2002 Sierra 2wd and put a 3in. body lift on it and have a 2in. suspention lift springs, longer shocks and spacers for the rear. But my problem now is my innertierod on the passanger side keeps going out. Ive changed it out three times It was the Oriely Moeg brand. Do you guys know of any heavydudy innertierods that wont go out so easy. Cause if i can fix the problem ill lift it 7in. and whats your opinnion on the fabtech lifts? I really need to know about the tierod situation cause i drive alot. and carry about 600lbs in the bed all the time.. Ill spend the money just need good info.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts