GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, new member here. I have a '97 short box reg. cab GMC pickup, 2 wheel drive with a tired 4.3. Good looking, solid body. I just picked-up a sweet-running '97 Yukon(5.7L and 4x4) with a trashed body. The wheelbases are identical, and the cab mounts look like a direct fit, but the bed mounts are missing from the Yukon. The frames are also quite different.

Has anyone here attempted this swap? Can it be done, reasonably simply?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I think you may fuck the Yukon chassis b/c unlike the pick up frame it is fully boxed and not designed to flex as much as a pick up. that is the first thing that comes to mind. At least on the NBS, I'd assume OBS is similar.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for chiming-in!

The Yukon's chassis is slightly larger(8" VS7") but not fully boxed. I don't see how a stiffer frame will be a hindrance to the pickup, other than a stiffer ride?

Where it is visibly different is that is remains flat further back before rising-up for the axle clearance, presumably to give the rear doors(it's a 4 door Yukon) a lower access. The leaf springs are shorter than the truck's, also.

I'm good at fabricating, so mounting the box isn't a concern; what I'm concerned with is that the frame appears to rise -up- higher at the axle, which would force the box to sit higher than the cab unless I were to cut and notch the box itself, which I'd rather avoid.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has done, or attempted, this swap. Or at least find out if the Yukon and 4x4 pickup share the same frame?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would see this working with custom mounts. Maybe a custom body lift to make it sit level? Just throwing out ideas that could make this work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys new here and sorry to kinda thread rob but i really need skme info on a body swap i have a 1980 gmc k25 sierra clasic that COMPLETELY i mean COMPLETLY rusted out welk my boss is will to selk me his 2wd 89 chevy c2500 for REAL cheap has amazing body so my question bejng how much fab would be needed to put the 89 2wd body (cab,bed fenders the whole works) onto the 80 gmc 4x4 frame?

Please any help would be great i have been trying t ok get info or any insight on this for awhile and i dont wanna pass the truck up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts