GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im just curious if its possible to change out a 6.0L for a duramax and about how much would it cost?

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
The duramax option alone on a new truck costs in at I think around 5800, with another 18-2300 for the allison if you get it.

I would expect to get a full on duramax swap you would be looking at around 7500-10000$ spent. It aint cheap, but could be worth it. The duramax is a good, strong motor with lots of potential.

If you decide to get rid of you lq4 before I get one, let me know...It is something in my future plans (or a 383 outta my vortec or 427bbc).

·
Two CC GMC Family
429 Posts
99Silver5.3 said:
Just get the new LLY if you do it!!
Unless you want to crank up the power....the LLY is very emissions oriented and there is way more stuff available for the LB7 and more LB7s available.

It would be a lot of work and cost a lot of dough, but it can be done. I recommend getting a donor truck, like one that's been rolled and swapping parts if you really want to do it. The easiest thing to do would be trade up....

Ox

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been thinking of the same swap. Had figured on getting a wreck and swapping engine and suspension if I can get a 4wd. I know it will probably be cheaper to just trade up to the d-max but I'm TIRED of making truck payments. If I trade up that just means longer and more expensive payment than I'm already making.

·
Registered
10 Posts
True, but it also means down the road when you go to sell it....you will have a hacked up truck that is not factory....meaning difficult at best to sell and you will likely lose your arse. The better economic decision would be to save the cash till you have enough to buy your motor tranny etc...then put that in with your trade and get the same year or similar as you have....in a diesel. Likely be cheaper that way, and again.....you can sell it later as the diesel it is....not a mod done by someone who isn't a GM engineer.

Just food for thought.

Bill

·
duramax owner
1,824 Posts
that is gonna be a crazy swap, wonder if you would have to do anything to the front suspension to hold the extra weight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts