GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Tahoe is severly dissapointing when you step on the gas, and im only pullin about 10mpg around town as is, so why not swap in a 6.0? If i can find a 6,0 out of an escalade with a 4l65e tranny it should be a direct swap, correct? Im wanting to get headers for it now, with an ORY going into the stock exhaust then into the magnaflow i have, those should bolt right up to the 6.0 as well correct? Everything on the motor should plug into the same spots on the 6.0 as on the 5.3 right? Im thinking maybe just a small cam in the 6.0 and headers should make me happy..so for the cam ill need new rockers and other then that just have Justin tune it for that? Prolly pick up a stall while im at it, somewhere around 2600 or so..its my daily and i drive it year round..im just confirming a few things before i look any further into it..Id think that if i have the motor/trans all together, a swap would take a weekend at most..just pull the old shit, put the new in, and hook it all up..o ya e-fans would also be going in along with an AEM brute force intake..hopefully that would be enough power for me..shit i cant even do a brakestand or spin the tires in a corner when its raining :flame:

Im having a hell of a time even finding any motors or trannys around here. do you think i can pick one up for 1600 or so?

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
yes, direct swap. all 4.8/5.3/6.0 accessories are interchangable. as for cam swap, you'd need cam, springs, and pushrods. rocker arms are fine...you won't find an engine and trans combo from an escalade for under $2k :imo People pay stupid money for the LQ9

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, direct swap. all 4.8/5.3/6.0 accessories are interchangable. as for cam swap, you'd need cam, springs, and pushrods. rocker arms are fine...you won't find an engine and trans combo from an escalade for under $2k :imo People pay stupid money for the LQ9
kinda what i figured..would i be better off finding a lq4 and then finding a 4l65e seperate?

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you get a converter get at least a 3000 rpm stall. :imo
Alright..i still dont know shit about the details like the converter or which cam i should get..hell id be happy with a stock BB tuned 6.0 im sure..

you sold the white truck?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
4.56:1 gear that bastard first.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
lol that would suck when i make the 200 mile interstate drive to school that i do prolly 20 times a year

How do you figure? That combo is 32" in diameter PLUS the excessive weight. You'll gain fuel economy. 2170rpm @ 65mph. Yeah real high RPM.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you figure? That combo is 32" in diameter PLUS the excessive weight. You'll gain fuel economy. 2170rpm @ 65mph. Yeah real high RPM.
does the 4l65E have a different final drive ratio? i run 2k rpms at 65 right now with 3.73s..

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
does the 4l65E have a different final drive ratio? i run 2k rpms at 65 right now with 3.73s..

No. 0.70:1

Don't go by the stock tach, it's not super accurate. Use a calculator.

Unless your shit is 4x4, the Escalde 65E isn't going to work. From what I've seen all the 6L HO motors came with the AWD.

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No. 0.70:1

Don't go by the stock tach, it's not super accurate. Use a calculator.

Unless your shit is 4x4, the Escalde 65E isn't going to work. From what I've seen all the 6L HO motors came with the AWD.
i used efi live 2 check when i got my tune done...so 4.56 gears would have me usin a ton of fuel on highway where i do alota driving..and ya the tahoe is 4x4

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
i used efi live 2 check when i got my tune done...so 4.56 gears would have me usin a ton of fuel on highway where i do alota driving..and ya the tahoe is 4x4

Okay, just do as you wish. Staying under geared isn't going to help economy.

·
GM Dealership SVC MNGER
222 Posts
im doing the same thing with my tahoe and i got a new ls6 oil pump coming right now and am waiting on the lpp headers or just going to order some pacesetters from speed engineering... the only thing that scares me is the 4l60e i have behind the 6.0 but i was wondering what is the difference between the 60e and the 65e? will it hold up ??!!!! im not doing the 80e and im not doing any stall or cam....

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Mechanical Advantage > Higher rpms

Basically, what he is saying, is that the added weight from the 24's, and the overall diameter of the tire, your engine is struggling to keep you at a certain speed. Even though you will experience higher rpms, you will have a mechanical advantage over the 24's. Probably will even improve fuel economy.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts

Basically, what he is saying, is that the added weight from the 24's, and the overall diameter of the tire, your engine is struggling to keep you at a certain speed. Even though you will experience higher rpms, you will have a mechanical advantage over the 24's. Probably will even improve fuel economy.
a guy i know burned up the trans in his 07 from stock shitty gearing and trying to turn 26s on the interstate. i think hes looking to go to about a 4.10 or so gear.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

Of course, but him being Mister College... he fails to grasp that.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Of course, but him being Mister College... he fails to grasp that.
i say let him keep getting 10 mpg and burn up his trans eventually. thats always a fun lesson.

mechanical advantage is the foundation to ALL performance.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
OH NO! A 4.56 gear with a 32" tire, and you expect him to drive on the highway? :rofl2:

There's something wrong with your truck, if you're only getting 10mpg. When my 03 was mostly stock, I got 20mpg on the highway. I had 3.73's, 22" ar maxim's, and 305/45 toyo's.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts