GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
18 on 38's
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i stopped by the dealer today and they said something internal in my transfer case is screwed up.
they suggested pulling one from a wrecked truck or whatever.
so i called a local place they want $400 for a swap (i have to give them my old one and they give me a working one)
from what i have researched that seems a little steep.

ANYWAY i was told i should be able to do the swap myself and i was wondering what all i need to know in order to complete the swap on my truck with autotrac.
please be detailed if you can as i have never done anything like this before...

Blake

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I would try to find a good performance shop in your area and have them diagnose the problem first. I may end up being something cheaper than swapping the whole damn thing out.

·
Fjdjciekejfuejfjwkx
140 Posts
If you're just replacing the transfer case, it's MAYBE a 1-hour job. Remove both drive shafts, remove cross-member support; unbolt transfer case from the transmission/adapter, push backward to separate, let it droop and rock forward, twist/push forward to pivot and it will fall right out.

Careful it's a little heavy; my brother and I removed and re-installed mine in less than an hour on my '00 when I split the adapter between t-case/transmission. Really quite easy .

I'd recommend just having a floor jack, some 4x4 wooden blocks and a friend to help you balance everything around.

What did they say was wrong with the t-case?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I know Fabtech lift kit install for the 4x4 have instructions on how to take out the front diff :shrug:

·
18 on 38's
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
allright well cool so it will probly take me 4 hours :crazy:

i will shop around and try and find a better price

edit: would you guys recomend getting one thats been gone through and rebuilt i assume?

·
Registered
283 Posts
i had a front bearing go out on mine, i pulled it, brought to a shop, $700 for rebuild and I put back in. I did it by myself, extra hands would help a lot but its pretty easy. just make sure you disconnect (hoses and wires) everything before you drop the tcase. It was not difficult.

if you have some mileage on the tcase you might as well get it rebuilt.

Edit: I'm assuming the $400 quote is just the labor to swap right? I think they wanted 3-400 when i was looking at it. I'm assuming it would have been 4 when the bill came.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts

·
18 on 38's
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a used one for $325 from a local shop today, 78k mile truck, I'll check it out and see if everything is allright, replace anything as needed and fill it up with royal purple

1 - 11 of 11 Posts