GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that I have slight swirls marks on my 04 Silverado. They are not very serious, yet! I don't know what could be causing them, I use the Mr. Clean auto dry car wash to wash, and I was using a soft brush when I washed but I now use a sponge because I thought the brush was my problem. I never noticed anything like this on my old truck, which was pewter, my new 04 is arrival blue. Does anyone know what could be causing this, or what I can do to get rid of it? :bawl:

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Use a good wash mitt, not brush or sponge. Also micro-fibers towels work great. Make sure to keep your wash mitt clean.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
E.M.D. said:
Use a good wash mitt, not brush or sponge. Also micro-fibers towels work great. Make sure to keep your wash mitt clean.
we know u can tell us how to get rid of them :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
i had swirl marks on my old Dodge truck. I made the mistake of using a brush on it once and after that i noticed swirl marks. So now with my new chevy i only use a 100% cotton mit.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Aberbaseball7 said:
LOL... Hey, it will take them out...

I also have swirls on my 04, but im not anal about it...
:word: plus mine white so it doesnt show too much inperfections :head:

im going to try that nano eagle one wax it claims to get small swirls out

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
tuckin22 said:
:word: plus mine white so it doesnt show too much inperfections :head:

im going to try that nano eagle one wax it claims to get small swirls out
Not out, it will fill them which will look like they are gone but it wont last long before there back because the fillers will wash off. I havent tried it but I will say it wont last more then 2-3 washes.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Here's a good site to learn all about detailing: http://www.autopia.org/index.php

For the swirls I wash then clay. (You can also clay while you wash too).
Then wax using Meguiars #9, #7, #20, then a coat of Meguiars new NXT wax (Which is good as fuk!) and then finish it with Meguiars #26. The #9 is for the swirl marks. All these waxes are the brown looking bottles(Pro) not the maroon looking ones. That'll be a good all day job though! You don't have to do it everytime you wax though. But if you do all that and then wash your truck again say the next week or so using shitty mitts and an absorber you will have them again! If you use an absorber it'll scratch! A regular wash mitt like from Wal-Mart it'll scratch! I only use Micro-Fiber towels to wash and dry my car and truck. Not telling ya'll what to do but I've seen it way too many times. It's the fine scratches and swirl marks you have to watch out for. No one will get all the swirls out. That's impossible. But you can get a lot of them out.

I buy microfiber towels here: http://www.pakshak.com/

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After researching my problem more on the internet I found out that I don't have "swirl marks" what I have are "car wash scratches" they are very very small about the size of a human hair and go in straight motions, not circular. They are very very very minor for now but I'm NOT gonna let them get any worse!

Can I just use a scratch removing wax to get rid of them? I went to an outo parts store today and the only car wash mits I saw were made by turtle wax and they were sheep skin or something, they were really soft. would they be alright to use on my paint?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sheep skin? Wou mean the ones that look like wool? If so be very careful as they will trap dirt and keep scratching it up again and again. I use only 100% terry cloth towels and once they are used once I throw them away. Gets expensive but never scratches the paint. If you want to get the scratches out use meguires three step, cleaner, polish, and wax. Use the yellow meguires pads too.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Yeah sheep skin is a good mitt to use also. But be sure it's real and a good brand. Also make sure you clean it often too cause like "therealgeronimo" said it can trap dirt in there. The light scratches were prolly caused from washing. That's just kinda the first stage of swirls, which is also just a scratch too. For those I use Meguiars #9 Swirl remover 2.0. I only buy the pro waxes from Meguiars. The tan colored bottles instead of the maroon ones. The maroon ones are consumer retail products and are not as good IMO. Also polish is good only every once and a while because it will strip some of the clear coat off. So you really don't need to use it that often. If you keep the scratches out and keep it waxed and protected you should be cool.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts