GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this thread should be about swaping a 89 TBI for a carburated engine.
please no GEN3 or GEN2 the idea is to get away from fuel injection and go old scool.

so if you dont have helpfull info pertaining to this swap to post, dont post!

edl-45901_w.gif

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
first things first. the tbi 5.7l is a gen1 block so this it realy just a topend swap & figuring out how to get the electronics in the dash to work corectly.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Trust me, these guys don't get it.

Going carbed was the best thing I could have done for my engine, for my wallet & for my power.

Engine-2.jpg

why go backwards in technology
TBI by any means wasn't a step forward, it was a failed attempt as an emissions device that was the answer to the feedback carb

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah but you went from that lame poppet EFI to a carb right? After the 350 swap.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trust me, these guys don't get it.

Going carbed was the best thing I could have done for my engine, for my wallet & for my power.

Engine-2.jpg

TBI by any means wasn't a step forward, it was a failed attempt as an emissions device that was the answer to the feedback carb
lol i think you and me are on the same page. so what did you do with all the BS electronics? how hard was it to go to carb?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
new and shinny doesent mean better.

Yeah and you wanted to use TBI heads for performance usage too. Just keep doing research before buying anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah and you wanted to use TBI heads for performance usage too. Just keep doing research before buying anything.
i just dident know better. old school i know. this is the newest chevy ive ever owned. next would be my 1986 fiero but that had EFI and was a pain in the ass. but it had 300hp when i was done. 8k later

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Keep reading of the advantages of EFI. It was mostly done for emissions reasons, now it's just better plain and simple.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i will be pulling my engine tomarow and sending the shortblock to get rebuilt w flattop pistons today i pulled of the heads and it is ported and roller rockers. i will be looking for a better set of heads. wanna be in the 350-450 hp range not hard to do on a carb. realy depends on the heads/intake i get

1 - 20 of 57 Posts