GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone i have a 1999 tahoe 1500 4x4 5.7 auto tat is giving me mortal hell will not start until u put just a little fuel in the throttle body then it starts and runs just fine when you kill the engine if you start it back up within about 15 or 20 min it will crank right up but if you let it sit any longer no start until you prime it again what am i chasin fuel pump, fuel solinoid,regulator,injector please help this is wifes ride she is wanting to drive it

lance

·
Registered
18 Posts
if you hold the gas pedal down while cranking or pump it a few times will it crank?

turn the key on (with all accessories off) listen for a relay to click and then see if you can hear the fuel pump kick on (whirring noise .... errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

if you don't hear the "click of a relay" then check the fuel pump relay.
if you don't hear the fuel pump running then check that.

with the truck off and key out of the ignition do the following:
behind the tb there are fuel line disconnects. open the gas cap and relieve the pressure.
then slowly loosen the fuel lines. gas will come out and you will spill some. turn on the key to ignition..... and look at the fuel lines....is there any fuel pouring out

if not and you hear the pump running, then check the fuel filter.

more than likely it is either your fuel pump or filter. but you first need to see if you are getting fuel up to the throttlebody first before thinking of checking for a bad injector.

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
Theres a shrader valve on the fuel line on top of the intake. make sure you have 50 psi. if your pouring gas in the throttle body and its starting, its probably not an injector. this thing has an injector per cylinder, not two up top. my money says its the fuel pump. when we get crank no starts at work, we fight over them, because 99% of the time its a fuel pump, and they pay really good.

·
car builder
58 Posts
i second that. just put a regulator on mine for the same problem

·
Banned
133 Posts
sounds like a fuel pump issue.. check it with a pressure gauge.. then check it while running and see if the regulator works. when was the last time you changed fuel filter? regulator is pretty cheap might as well do it too if you do a pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts