GMC Truck Forum banner

tahoes for towing?

896 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  tb8100 
#1 ·
how would a tahoe frame handle this? me and my dad are wanting to pick somethin up but dont wanna spend the money on a duramax.. we were thinkin more on the lines of finding a pretty high mileage 2000-2005 hoe for around 11 grand then just drop in a 6.0.. would this be fine for pulling up to an extended cab truck?

#2 ·
I have hauled well over 6000 pounds with my Truck and it did pretty damn good. I'm sure you would be fine with a 6.0, but if you are going to spend the money on a motor swap you may as well do a bigger rear end. Dont get your hopes up for any sort of decent mpg though.

#4 ·
Word, 2500 Burbs can be had with 6.0L or 8.1L + all the goodies: 4L80E, 14blt, etc. They can be had cheap, too - esp the 8.1L, b/c noone can afford to use them! :D

-bZj

#5 ·
i agree, might as well get something that was meant to tow like a 2500 hd of a 2500 burb. half tons dont have a power issue towing, its everything else behind the motor that has the problem, aka trans, rear end, suspension

#7 ·
I pull with mine just about every weekend. Im sure it will take its toll after while. I have added a tranny cooler and temp gauge and run 40 psi, thats about it, lol.

The 5.3s pull pretty well, but I would say get the 6.0 if you gonna do a swap anyways!

#9 ·
another vote for the 2500 suburban. the 8.1L hauls butt!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.