GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used structure adhesive to install the filler plate? I've read that it is stronger than spot welds, plus you wouldn't have to worry about the tail gate warping. Do you think this hold just as good as welding it in?

I want to hear the pros & cons on using this stuff.

TIA
Kal

·
LOW BLOW CUSTOMS
238 Posts
structural adhesive is the shit!! esp if you don't have access to a welder, you can weld it in, but it'll take alot of time to do it right. i put 4 tack welds on @ a time then waited about 20 mintes and did it all over again, when i shave my doors, i'm gonna use structural adhesive. actual BODY SHOP structural adhesive, not JB weld or anything like that. plus if your not welding , you have less chance of burning off the factory corrosion protection ( E-COAT) on the backside of the handle..

Kal, if you wanna try it. i'll buy the tube gun cause i want one anyways and you buy the adhesive, what's the worst that could happen¿¿¿

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
supermachine said:
what's the worst that could happen¿¿¿
:LOL:

I've seen a lot of shaved gates done a lot of ways. I've seen them bonded in, glued in, filled in, tacked in 4 spots and called done. Nearly every one has fractured.

I won't do it any other way than welding them it. Taking your time, welding it shut by closing tack welds starting at 9, 12, 3, & 6 will do it.

Cameron

·
GMFS OG Member
760 Posts
Physh1 said:
:LOL:

I've seen a lot of shaved gates done a lot of ways. I've seen them bonded in, glued in, filled in, tacked in 4 spots and called done. Nearly every one has fractured.

I won't do it any other way than welding them it. Taking your time, welding it shut by closing tack welds starting at 9, 12, 3, & 6 will do it.

Cameron

:word: I think I read something about the handle outline bleeding through when using the glue method. :badidea:

·
Registered
68 Posts
lol, I like the glueing method. Well I got mine done lastnight on my OBS. I welded it in. I did them at 12, 3, 6, and 9 oclock just to hold it in, and then I went around till it had welds in it all the way around 1/8" from each other. . . Im with Physh on this one 100% :imo

·
LOW BLOW CUSTOMS
238 Posts
first off, i have yet to use the glue, but i am gonna do it, GM endorses it as being strong enough to hold on a qtr panel that is factory welded in place, it's plenty strong enough to hold on a 6sq inch piece of sheetmetal, i don't see where it would bleed through if you did glue-duraglass-filler-icing... nothing bleeds through icing, it'll damn near stick to oil and it doesn't shrink, maybe if you had poor bodywork skills/materials it might bleed...

http://www.naceexpo.com/content/NACEpdf/pr011.pdf

this is the GM endorsement of the product...

welding them in is great if you have the skill/equipment, but if you don't, this is 100% the way to go

·
LOW BLOW CUSTOMS
238 Posts
:nono: shoulda used the damn glue ...fucking being too generous with the welder oh well, we'll fix it

oh, by the way i was @ one of my bodyshops today asking them about the glue method, they glued a piece of metal to a door, then clamped it to the frame machine then put 5 TONS of pulling strength on it... guess what, THE DOOR SKIN RIPPED off of the welds, but the glued on tab held :crazy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts