GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a tailgate lock that will work with a shaved gate... any suggestions? since im not goin with a bedcover, i really need one.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
:LOL:

how about welding on a few loops, one on the tailgate next to the bed and another on the bedside, then running a padlock between them?

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DemoN said:
none of the standard gate locks will work, and i don't know of one that is made for this application. i could engineer something up...but we both know you're never going to do it :read: :crazy:
thanks for your ongoing support ass :read: one of these days i might actually finish a mod i buy parts for. this is one of them :read:

·
Registered
559 Posts
if u dont have a bed cover cant anyone just reach in and take your shit and laugh at you for having a lock on a big open space.i have no iead how a lock will help you with an uncovered bed, does anyone see this?

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
i agree with 02chevy, what would be the point of locking the tailgate if some can just hop in the bed and take your stuff?

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
00Silverado said:
it's so his tailgate doesnt get stolen:slap:
:word: tailgates cost money. people are actually stupid enough to steal them. shaved gates are more desirable to theives that dont like to pay for body work

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I saw something the other day in a magazine. You put some kind of washer or spacer on the open hinge-side of the tailgate and use an allen wrench to lock it down. I'll try to find more info for you!

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
werd... my buddies took mine off as a joke... then they showed me how... its simple as hell... id definately get a lock asap :read:

·
WorkinSmarterNotHarder
450 Posts
Word, theft sucks. Another function of the tailgate lock is so that the taillights don't get stolen. Those can be taken in like 5 mins too.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You looking for some thing like this?
www.thunderracing.com
#157-48680 Gorilla GM Tailgate Lock

This is still not what i saw but it might work too.

Badassilverado said:
I think a Gatekeeper would work...
I think this is only to hold down items to your tailgate. I could be wrong though!

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
bed cover? or you could do it ghetto and disconnect the handle so it seems like its broken. Chances are they are gonna figure out how to take it off, they'll just move on

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
I have this lock

I don't see why it wouldnt work except that normally you take the top bolt out of the tailgate and it bolts to that and connects to the rods ... if you could get a threaded stud welded into your tailgate, then you could connect it without seeing a visible bolt head on the outside . just a though. If you are getting the handle shaved, it wouldnt be like it would be that much harder to do.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the suggestions guys! id still like to see the one 1truess is talking about

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I can't find this thing to save my Life! I will keep trying though.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Timberwolve81 said:
This place, truck techniques sell the gate keeper. it will deter thieves from stealing your tailgate, but won't do anything for the tailights.

that is kind of another concern of mine. thanks for the link. thats pretty much what i was picturing

·
Registered
559 Posts
bcubed said:
I have this lock

I don't see why it wouldnt work except that normally you take the top bolt out of the tailgate and it bolts to that and connects to the rods ... if you could get a threaded stud welded into your tailgate, then you could connect it without seeing a visible bolt head on the outside . just a though. If you are getting the handle shaved, it wouldnt be like it would be that much harder to do.
yeah bill is right i think that would definetly work

1 - 20 of 22 Posts