GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day i helped someone move a queen size bed into their house and had to keep the tailgate down to fit it in the bed of my truck. On the way to their house i hit a nasty bump that caused my tailgate to jump up then slam back down. Now the handle has no tension on it and the latches are stuck in the open position so it can't keep itself closed my bed cover has too with a bungee cord for a little extra safety. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,659 Posts
The other day i helped someone move a queen size bed into their house and had to keep the tailgate down to fit it in the bed of my truck. On the way to their house i hit a nasty bump that caused my tailgate to jump up then slam back down. Now the handle has no tension on it and the latches are stuck in the open position so it can't keep itself closed my bed cover has too with a bungee cord for a little extra safety. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Your help is greatly appreciated.
any idea what kind of truck you have?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Happend to me the other day, Im guessing you live in the cold so heat up the outter latches with a torch and heat up under the handle where the linkage is as well. I did that for about 20secs on each piece and slammed it shut and it stayed closed.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,659 Posts
I've always had to spray the pivot on the handle with penetrating oil and open and close a bunch of times

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me and my dad took a look at it and sprayed PB blaster and something to grab a hold of the latches with and it did the trick thanks for all your guys input and also this was on a 98 chevy 1500

1 - 6 of 6 Posts