GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i bought the truck in september, the tailgate handle always worked hard.....well the other day i went to open the tailgate and i pulled on the handle but it wont open, the handle comes out like normal but i beleive the passenger side isnt releasing...anyone have this problem? what do i go about to fix this, would pulling the tailgate handle be the first thing to do..any help would be appreciated, thanks

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
pull the gate handle off..to remove the bezel press down on the top lip and pull out while you're doing that..when the top two clips come out, lift up the bezel and it should pull off..then remove the three bolts on the backside of the tailgate to remove the handle..undo the red and green clips from the handle..you should be able to take the two metal rods and push them towards each other..that should make the gate open

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Take the handle off by removing the bolts on the inside of the tailgate, then remove the bezel...be careful not to break the tabs that hold it in there, and then remove the handle from the rods that go to each side of the tailgate....you should be able to see the problem then, sounds like one side or both sides may be broken off that pull the release rods.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep thanks for the help, ha i read them several times and i still managed to break the bottom tabs on the handle bezel so now i need a new one of those....i also discovered my problem, the green clip on the right broke...where would be the best place to get the green tab? i went to napa and no luck...and im guessing i could find a new bezel on here

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
It doesnt have to be green. My new one is either black or red (my pass. side broke too).

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
take it back to the dealer and they will fix it. The tailgate does this fairly often on GM trucks. It happened to my grandpas and he took it back and had it fixed for free. It was a used truck with no warranty too. I think at one time they recalled some of the tailgate handles? Not sure though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts