GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read for the past few years on the clay bar work outs... Can someone dumb it down for me? It will be happenin' on a fire red 06' GMC Sierra and a 09' Burgundy Honda Odyssey... I would prefer the products suggested be over the counter if possible... Thanks in advance...
:big_banana_Dance:

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
just clay barring it? buy a clay bar kit, it comes with the clay bar and quick detailer, a microfiber towel and cleaner wax, you can get this at pretty much any auto parts store or target and walmart

·
I like 'em white
2,749 Posts
The clay just pull off any contaminants off the paint that washing alone cant clean. This will make the paint essentially as clean as it can be but also completely unprotected so if you clay you need to wax as well. Just keep the surface lubed with the detail spray and rub the clay over the surface of the car to remove the contaminants. A how-to is here
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18103
Its also the sticky in this section so you can always come back to it

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
how much is that one? ive been wanting to clay my truck...im pretty swirl free right now but not perfect

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
how much is that one? ive been wanting to clay my truck...im pretty swirl free right now but not perfect
claying will not take swirls out of your paint, its gonna take any contaminents off your paint and you will be left with a bare surface

that kits like 20 bucks or something

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info... Should I buy an extra bottle of the spray or will one do the trick for one vehicle? Also, should i stay away from chrome trim, glass, etc...?

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Thanks for the info... Should I buy an extra bottle of the spray or will one do the trick for one vehicle? Also, should i stay away from chrome trim, glass, etc...?
you can clay those surfaces too if you want...

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
you can clay those surfaces too if you want...
:word: I have clayed my glass before just because:shrug: I clayed my friends gf car and holy shit. It felt like rubbing up against sandpaper and then I clayed one side of the hood and told him to feel the diffrence and it felt like glass.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
My truck needs a full detail, badly :(
Take some time one day on a weekend and have at it! Its really pretty easy to do, and I and other members here can certainly help you along the way.

I think you'd be very happy w/ a basic detail. After washing, Clay the vehicle using Luber Clay Lube. It'll remove all of those surface contaminents and prep the surface for a paint cleaner or polish. I would suggest going with P21s Paintwork Cleanser. Very easy to use and really makes a nice difference. If you wanted to get more serious, you could do so w/ a porter cable and compound/polishes, but for a general cleanup, isnt a requirement. Then just top it off w/ a quality carnauba wax or sealant :)

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
claying will not take swirls out of your paint, its gonna take any contaminents off your paint and you will be left with a bare surface

that kits like 20 bucks or something
oh ok got it

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts

·
GMC Owner
1,114 Posts
That video was hilarious. I would also grab an extra bottle of quick detailer just to make sure you don't run out. Even if you don't use it there is more than enough other uses for it.

·
Canadian Chapter
2,283 Posts
ahhhhhhh hahahahaha "slap your wife around and kick your nieghbours cat." "clay bar'n sounds like gay bar'n."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts