GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never heard it, but is this a bad idea? A member told me it was and I was just wanting to make sure cause I know alot of people that have done this and have been like this for a while now and haven't had a single problem.

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
I've removed one leaf spring before, since then I've put the spring back in.. Really didn't like the ride at all..

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You can remove the overload spring without too much of a problem. Your ride will change some, and not for the better, and you will decrease your payload(although I doubt that's a big concern for your truck). It was real comon to yank the leafs when lower components were harder to come by. You can get lowering leafs like you can get coils for the front. With a bagged truck, I'd go with a link set up over and air over link, because I've seen several AOL setups brake from normal use.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
naw I'm not putting them on my truck, I'd NEVER do an AOL setup. I have a 2 link. I'm trying to sell them to someone who wants to drop his truck 4"

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
I can attest that removing a leaf is something you can do, but the ride isn't the best ... I first removed the helper and it dropped my back end a little but not enough to get rid of an extreme rake .. so then we put it back in and took out the middle leaf and it lowered it more an mostly fixed the rake.

The ride isn't horrible, but it will bounce a bit on bad roads and bridges with expansion joints. Older trucks used to have as much as 7-10 leafs, so taking one out wasn't that bad, but the Silverado only has 3. Anyways, I'm taking them all out and putting a 4-link in anyways, so I'd say with experience there are much better ways to lower your truck than taking out a leaf.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts