GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have stock exhaust manifolds with the stock cats... after that it is ran into the I-pipe with a Dynomax bullet muffler... and then split into 2 and out the back.. I am thinkin about ripping my cats outta there to get a little bit more sound and performance outta her... do yall think its a good idea? Will the truck throw codes? Will it run lean or rich? Will I even notice any power gain you think? The truck has 80k miles on it.. so i figured they might be a little plugged... whats yalls thoughts? thanks :bowtie:

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
you will need to get your pcm retuned if you take your cats out, either go with an ory or gut the cats. Quick question kinda off topic but how do you like the sound of your bullet with stock manifolds and cats? I just ordered one and it was delivered this morning, just trying to get a taste for the sound of it

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sound is great as is... It is a really deep low rumble... it never gets poppy under acceleration untill I let off the throttle and the motor is idling back down from up top... I dunno if I really wanna change it cause I like it so much... I know you will like it.. I think when you leave the y-pipe.. and the exhaust mixes from both banks of the motor it ends up being a smoother deeper sound VS a true dual system which is poppier... you know what i mean? Right now I have a Wait4metune, but I am getting gears installed... so I am going to have to get the tune adjusted anyways for the gears, so maybe I can take the cats off and then do it all at the same time.. what do ya think? Oh and why does it have to be retuned? Because of the 02 sensor codes or something? Do they have to erase them so I dont get a check engine light? thanks

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
i love my bullet (stock everything)...perfect description by badbowtie

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
yeah I ordered a 3" and will be going with a single 3 inch dumped over the axle

yeah the 02s would be going crazy and your truck would run shitty

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
yeah I ordered a 3" and will be going with a single 3 inch dumped over the axle

yeah the 02s would be going crazy and your truck would run shitty
Kyle, if you're interested I can take a sound clip of my tr224 with my dynomax bullets. It's through stock manifolds and cats right now.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
that cam lope is awesome...how much did it run u? specs on it as well and rest of motor work

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Leave them on, you won't notice much of a gain. Only very high RPM change.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
that cam lope is awesome...how much did it run u? specs on it as well and rest of motor work
I bought the cam and springs used with 3000 miles on them and the pushrods were brand new. I paid $350 shipped for all 3. I tuned it using EFI Live(with the help of many pt.net members) which I bought for $250.

Motor work is basically no existant. I wanted to get the hard stuff over with first. Built tranny with 3200 stall will be next followed by longtubes and then a set of 4.10's and a detroit tru trac

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leave them on, you won't notice much of a gain. Only very high RPM change.
You dont think they might be a little clogged with 80k? I've seen flow differences between stock ones and aftermarket high flow ones and there is definitely a difference... but im not replacing them.. im just saying they might hinder it a bit... also, it would mainly be for the sound increase... I was just curious about a power gain.

·
Local Drunk
1,054 Posts
with longtube's ORY (no cats) and 3in magnaflow, mine pops .....alot

th_MOV06331.jpg

you cant really tell with that clip though

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
You dont think they might be a little clogged with 80k? I've seen flow differences between stock ones and aftermarket high flow ones and there is definitely a difference... but im not replacing them.. im just saying they might hinder it a bit... also, it would mainly be for the sound increase... I was just curious about a power gain.
Mine were replaced at right around 90,000 miles and they looked damn near brand new on the inside.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
with longtube's ORY (no cats) and 3in magnaflow, mine pops .....alot

th_MOV06331.jpg

you cant really tell with that clip though
looks like the motor is cold! bad idea to run her hard :pow:

but it sounds good! :bowtie:

·
Local Drunk
1,054 Posts
looks like the motor is cold! bad idea to run her hard :pow:

but it sounds good! :bowtie:
when i recorded that i was thinking to myself "someone is going to give me shit for the eng temps" :pissed:

i need to get some clips while driving around, see if it will pick up the popping

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
I agree... leave them there. All youll get is more RASP :puke:

Mark... your cammed truck sounds pretty good :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts